GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
  • How To: Homemade Silverado turn signal mirrors

I just finished installing these today, I had made them quite some time ago using the glass from my truck's original mirrors. I found that if you drill through the black plastic backing the mirror glass and remove the adhesive foam goes, you can put LEDs behind the mirror glass and have them shine right through.

I used LEDs I had sitting around from the old 3rd brake light for my canopy. (They aren't great, so thats probably why a tiny little brake light needed 30+ LEDs). This means you can't really see them in the daylight, but they are cool in the dark. I can put up with this considering it didnt cost me anything to do it.
    Here's a video:

And a picture of the glass when not lit: (Note that these are completely stealth with no cirles in the reflective surface like the factory mirrors)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: My Home-made turn signal mirrors started by pmf608 View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      pmf608 -
      Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think its cool that this thread somehow made its way to the front page of the site too!
      ntbush83 -
      Yeah man this is sweet! You may have just saved a lot of people a ton of money! Including myself!
      Tj07classic -
      if you go to any good hobby store you can get really bright l.e.d.s and they have different colors too. nice job on the mirror i will do the same ting now that i know thanks again.
      Als09Sierra -
      Looks great and I like the cost. How did you wire the lights? Is there power coming in for the signal or did you power in the cab?
      pmf608 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
      Looks great and I like the cost. How did you wire the lights? Is there power coming in for the signal or did you power in the cab?
      Because mine is an 01, there is no existing signal wiring as that was not available until 2003. I believe that some (not sure about all) 2003+ trucks with power mirrors will have wiring to the mirrors already in place for this.

For the 99-02 trucks, you can get your power from the BCM under the dash. The power can be had from the brown plug, and the pins were B6 and B7. The light blue wire is for the left signal light. Dark blue is for the right signal. I tapped power from there, ran it to the doors, and grounded the lights to the bolts that are used to mount the mirrors to the doors.

If you have a 2003-2007 classic, I have also looked up that information for you. It is even easier on the newer trucks, as long as you have power mirrors already. If not, I'm not sure how to wire these since there is no signal at the BCM that I could see. For those that do, the driver side signal can be had from the light blue wire in pin 11 of the black plug on the bottom of your door switches (driver door module). For the passenger side mirror, get your power from the dark blue wire in pin 26 of your switches (front passenger door module).

I don't have access to wiring diagrams for 2007+ trucks, but if I'm not mistaken, I have read that the signal power is available at the door modules for the mirrors. All you would have to do to find out is pop you switches out from the top of the door panel and test wires with a multimeter to see if any of them work for turn signals. Since GM seems to like light blue on the left and dark blue on the right, I would suggest starting with those ones. If anyone test this or knows whether signal power is available on these trucks, post it up here for everyone else to know.
      grantwashington -
      dang thats cool im going to try that out, thanks

tbplus10

Oil Pump stopped but started again

If the engine ran with no oil pressure for any amount of time a rebuild would be my future plan.
    At 260k, if it didnt have oil pressure for even

tbplus10 Today, 04:04 PM Go to last post
    4silverado

Newbie from NC

Welcome to the site! Nice burb.

4silverado Today, 03:50 PM Go to last post
    4silverado

new here looking for 87 k10 parts, especially long bed

Welcome to the site.

On the 87, parts were the same from 1981 clear up to 91 as long as it is the old square body. Doors, front end, interior

4silverado Today, 03:46 PM Go to last post
    j cat

2006 Silverado 1500 wt 4.3liter V6 Service Brake System Light

you have to use a strong light and inspect every inch of line. no quick task ..if your rear brake cylinders leak most times the rear shoes would lock

j cat Today, 03:42 PM Go to last post
    j cat

Someone please give your opinion on our truck!!! pretty please!!

my guess is he put in the wrong crankshaft

j cat Today, 03:36 PM Go to last post
    bsmntcritr

Someone please give your opinion on our truck!!! pretty please!!

I would check to see if the converter is "all the way in". On older transmissions, the converter can disengage and protrude slightly causing

bsmntcritr Today, 03:22 PM Go to last post
    4silverado

New to here. Check out my 97 k1500! :)

Welcome to the site

4silverado Today, 03:17 PM Go to last post
    j cat

Head/Valves (Engine?) Ticking at high RPM/speed

the issue of the carbon will cause the pinging..with a couple of the techron PLUS treatments you should be able to use 87 octane with no pinging. lets

j cat Today, 03:07 PM Go to last post
    Steve

Isuzu Medium Duty Truck Parts

Hate to be a shill for one of our sponsors, but it's my site so I'm allowed to do whatever the heck I want. haha.

No, please check out this

Steve Today, 02:39 PM Go to last post
    MauryFrench

Oil Pump stopped but started again

Good day everyone.

Here is the story. 95 Silverado 350. Just came from the mechanic for a new catalytic converter to pass Texas State Emmissions.

MauryFrench Today, 01:48 PM Go to last post