GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

realfoneguy

Hi everyone 1991 Chevy Starcraft conversion issues

Rate this Entry
I havce a 1991 chevy suburban. This thing is an electrical nightmare and can mostly be attributed to the previous owner.
I have over time lost my motorized seats, the seat heaters, the lumbar feature, the rear mood lights, my cruis control, the temp/compass mirror shows an error, the delay wipers operate weird when it's wet out and do not seem to neutral when it stops raining or dry out.
The cruise control stopped working after the key switch was replaced aznd the guy replaced a "FUSE BLOCK". The seats went out before that. I have a feeling there is a defective ground at a common place that is defective, but not sure where that is. Right now the blower motor is not working and I thought it was the switch as it was very intermittent at one time. I went to replace it and found the connector melted, so I replaced it with a repair kit. It still did not work. So today I am going to try and tackle this project. I watched a video of how to get the blower motor out, but would ratehr test it first. That I know how to do.
Any help on the electrical issue will help me a great deal. Brad
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry to say Brad this one sounds like multiple issues, but I think your on the right track with the grounds for some of it.
    Some of the problems with most conversions be it vans or Suburbans is the manufacturers no longer exist or even when they were still in buisness they didnt publish wire schematics.
    I toured the Starcraft factory in North Fort Worth a few years ago before they closed, on the assembly line they didnt use a wirng schematic, they went from memory and necessity, the installer said that was because not all the parts used were from the same manufacturer and sometimes they had special orders that included or deleted other items so each truck/van was done individually. They also tied into the factory electrical at different places.
    Theres still a few companies selling replacement parts, sometimes the replacement parts are direct replacements by the same vendors originally used and sometimes their just identical but a new vendor.