GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

WhiteRice

Truck Do over!

Rate this Entry
July 14th, 2012

Ok, so currently I am in the great city of New York visiting family. Back home, However, my truck is in the shop finally getting repaired after being side swiped by another vehicle. I drive a 2000 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab. The truck use to belong to my dear departed father who left it to me shortly before his disease began to take over his mind. The truck has IFS with leaf springs in the back, is two wheel drive, has a 4.7 V8 engine if I'm not mistaken. Now this truck has been through hell and high water with me, been through two accidents (both the other drivers fault) traversed all over my great state of Florida and still runs like I just got it off the lot.

The point of this blog is because everyone who posted in my previous thread about a four wheel drive conversion told me to post pictures of my progress. So, that is just what I will do, I will post pictures of every bit of progress I make in my efforts to completely redo this truck.

out everything I plan on doing here are just a few:
-Covert it 4wd by swapping out the tran and drive shafts
-swap out the IFS for a dana 60 and also putting a Dana 60 in the back
( I am undecided upon leaf or coil in the front)
-6 inch suspension lift
-set it on some 35's, maybe TSL super swampers
-New rims, Chrome step bars, Bull bar on the front, Custom black paint job, Green LEDs all around the truck, and Replace all the accessory for Chrome ones.
-Redo the inside, black leather, with white trim, New touch screen double-din head unit, two 12 inch kicker subs along with around 6 kick mids and 4 tweets plus amp.

That is not all I am doing just a rough guess. Again I am new to trucks so this is a at home project and if I did get anything wrong or messed up please tell me. Well I'll be posting progress. See y'all on the road!

Here is the first picture, This is how the truck stood when I left Florida on the 1st, can not wait to be home and see it!
Name:  Front to side.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  81.8 KBName:  Inside Front.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  60.2 KBName:  truck side.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  80.9 KB

July 20th, 2012

Ok, so I talked to the rep at the collision repair center my truck is at and the repairs have not been started, seems there was an issue with the insurance company, anyhow, they are starting today and I should have it back along with a completely fixed passenger side in about a week.

October 23rd, 2012

hey! howdy everyone. Sorry its been so long since I've made an updates. got the side of the truck fixed up and looking all shiny. Still have to aline the doors and the tailgate needs put back on. I am going to put up pic now to!
Name:  IMG_3001[1].jpg
Views: 45
Size:  79.2 KBName:  IMG_3002[1].jpg
Views: 54
Size:  64.2 KB

Updated 10-23-2012 at 01:52 PM by WhiteRice

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wondered where ya got to Whiterice, looks like a great platform to start a project on cant wait to see how things progress.
    Sounds like you did a little intelligence gathering and came back with a plan.
    Yep, should be posting some new pictures here in the next week as I just got that big dent on the passenger side repaired. I am going to start with the interior door panels, speaking of which, is it possible to not only remove the door panels but to disassemble the door panel it self. I am going to use some heavy duty scratch resistant vinyl paint to change the dash and door panels to black instead of replacing them. Also where is a good place to purchase a dana axle.
    Not sure how they assembled the panels on that model truck so I couldnt give ya any tips there.
    As for the axle it really depends on how much you want to spend and how built up you want the axle, Currie ent. http://www.currieenterprises.com/ has some of the most bullet proof Dana axles around, and a hefty price too.
    If it were me I'd start sourcing one from a wrecking yard, some of the older 1 ton trucks (this is customizing so theres no time to be whiney about what mfgr truck the axle comes out from under) Ford, GM, and Dodge used Dana 60's.
    Depending on the model front axle you want you may look under the front of the same trucks for those parts too.
    The nice thing about Currie is if you can afford the price the axle will be built to your specs with spring pads, gearing, brakes, etc exactly as you want it. Currie doesnt skimp on parts so they produce a superior product.
    When I'm looking at the products what do I have to look at, I see a hole bunch of parts that I dont know.
    oh, just a heads up in case any one wants to keep up with my progress, I am just editing the original blog entry, I dont know if it updates you at all.
    Your blog is updating, you can do a new reply on your original blog and it updates your comments.
    If your looking at Curries site look at axle assemblies, remember your building this custom so almost anything will fit because your gonna make it fit. If you have questions about their products and fitment for your particular truck they have a help section and their very responsive to questons.
    Hey, sorry its been so long since I have posted. I had one question, The other day after a good night out with some friends I was talking to a buddy who is a mechanic and he mentioned that he thinks I would need a new computer to be able accommodate for 4wd. Is this true and if so how much is that on top of what i already know?
    A new computer will depend on how you decide to do the build, if you use a late model factory trans/transfer case combo (one of the newer electric shift/push button versions) you need the corresponding computer, but if you go with an older manual linkage T case (which is what I would recommend) you can run the engine and trans with the existing computer. Same goes for the axle, if your gonna attempt to put a late model (read as IFS) axle in then it'll have a sensor for the computer, but an older Dana wont provide or need any computer inputs.
    I recommend you keep it simple and use the older axle and T case since you have plans to lift the truck some.
    Now that is what I wanted to hear! I don't like the new push button 4wd anyway. I would rather have the stick. Actually just got done putting my tailgate on. still need to replace the cables and such. Is there anyway to get the tailgate to look in more securely? it rattles around something awful!
    Check the bushings on the pivot points and make sure the latch's are properly locking, shouldnt rattle at all.
    Hey all! Sorry I haven't been on in awhile work and the holiday season have been keeping me busy. Ran into some obstacles with the truck. Had to replace the battery's and a few more things. When I was asking round for some info about the conversion and someone told me bout doing a bodyswap. Now I'm not one to just trust any random person off the street, so what can you guys tell me about that. Would it be worth it? What are the pros and cons of it?
    WhiteRice, been reading the thread about your 4wd conversion for a while. I've actually been thinking about trying the same project. How's it been going since you started? And did you get the transfer case and tranny figured out?