GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

Springthing

It's an engine SWAP! Laying the groundwork.

Rate this Entry
More for my sake than anyone, I have decided to write a little about the 454 engine swap out of the 1999 Suburban. I won't be making a How-To, that's for sure, but it will be nice to chronicle the steps to getting a new motor in front of the truck.

I started by digging around a little, asking questions to people online, an engine builder in the area, and doing a little research.

With 205,xxx miles on the truck it's about time I just take care of the problem once and for all.

I have a hesitation when on the road, the little back-and-forth of...like...a misfire. I have an intake gasket leak which leads to odd rpm revs at idle, etc etc. That along with the loss of power (I struggle to keep up going up hills...with a 454??) has me convinced to just get the motor taken out, replaced, new gaskets all around, and a nice 100k warranty!

Someone clued me into a nice, inexpensive motor. So for under $2000 I can get a nice remanufactured with a good warranty.

I set about asking questions as to who could do the work. I went to the local shop I always go to for automotive repair. I called a mechanic that's trying to drum up business and set up his own shop. I talked to a few others. All said the same thing. Yes, I can do it. But no one came back with a quote as to how much it would be. No one followed through on it. If it's important enough for you to have the business, it should be important enough for you to call me back and let me know how much, just about.

The last person I talked to works at O'Reilly, actually. I went in there with a question on whether or not they'd heard good or bad on the lone mechanic trying to build up his business. The guy behind the counter and I got into a discussion and it turns out he'd be able to swap it out. His dad does that all day every day and said it wouldn't be a problem. Soooooo...once again I left my number with this guy. We'll see if he calls back in the next day or two.

So far I've identified the motor I have to buy, the price it will cost to purchase and just need to find someone who will give me a guesstimate on how much it will cost to put it in.

We'll see what comes of it!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck.
    Having swapped a big block or two in the past I dont blame ya one bit for finding someone else to to the job, as we get older and have a little more $$ it makes sense to pay to get somethings done rather than burn up our precious short time off wrenching on things.
    Look forward to hearing a good report on sarge in the near future.
    Whered you find a reman for $2K and a 100K mile warranty.. IM jealous!! My local shop quoted me @ $2200 for a reman 350.
    Glad to hear your going ahead with the build....
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10
    Good luck.
    Having swapped a big block or two in the past I dont blame ya one bit for finding someone else to to the job, as we get older and have a little more $$ it makes sense to pay to get somethings done rather than burn up our precious short time off wrenching on things.
    Look forward to hearing a good report on sarge in the near future.
    This guy doesnt need an engine swap he needs a set of hd wilwoods for that thing