GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

Chevy Truck Forum

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LT2 Review

Rate this Entry
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Crew Cab LT2
MSRP: $43,025

Well, that 2008 Chevy Silverado trucks are here. The nice folks at Chevy let me get behind the wheel for a test run, and I put it through it's paces, that's for sure.

What's it like to drive?
You'll think your driving a comfy luxury car. This is perhaps the best driving truck I've been behind the wheel of. Now that GM is in the 2nd year of the current body style, most of the kinks have been worked out of the design process from the 2007 (like the hard-to-read instrument panel when wearing sunglasses). It's a well put together package that I enjoyed very much.

The test truck had the standard 5.3L V8 with the 2nd year active fuel management, this gives you the power that you need when you need it, and better fuel economy when running at a steady speed or when coasting downhill. I never felt at a loss for power and still managed to get near 17 MPG all around driving.

Perhaps the biggest improvemnt for 2008 can be found in the steering and braking. I found the steering to be very easy, almost like it was electronic and I wasn't actually turning a physical shaft. Nevertheless, it was also tight and responsive at the same time. Hats off to the guys at GM on that one.

The built-in navigation package (optional) has matured a bit as well. It appears to be much faster-loading, which is great when you've sometimes got very little space to makes a couple of turns, while watching traffic too. We even typed in "Little Caesers" and found a pizza joint to get a bite to eat. Gave us turn-by-turn directions.

The 4WD on the dial technology is better as well. It's even easier than ever to go into 4-high or 4-low, or set it to AUTO and let the computer handle it for you. We managed to find some more mud (ok, it was the SAME mud hole that I took some of the other Silverados to) and we had no fear of getting stuck in the ruts. Everything when smoothly.

What's it like to sit in?
Not a lot has changed from the 2007 Silverado to the 2008. There is still a lot of leg, head, hip and shoulder room. In my big and tall state I have no problems sitting comfortably, even for long periods of time. I may be dreaming, but there even seems to be more room for my left-foot, under the pesky parking brake. I still think the stereo controls are a bit too far away.

This is a 4WD pickup truck. You do sit up higher than most cars. You are heavier and it takes a while to stop. Make certain to drive like it. I found this out in traffic when 200 cars went from 70 to zero in about 10 seconds (me included) becuase of a just-happened accident up ahead. The 4-wheel anti-lock brakes never locked up and stopped this beast on a dime.

Toys and Gadgets
I'm still hooked on the XM and the built-in DVD system and GPS navigation system. If you're going to spend this much on a truck, you may as well splurge and get the unit that you really want.

The DIC is also very impressive as well. From a glance you can get a view of report of the active MPG you're getting at that moment, tire pressure, transmission temp or a variety of other stats that you may need to know when going down the road.

Overall impression?
Thumbs up and hats off for the 2008 Chevy Silverado. It's comfortable, quiet, has plenty of power and looks great too.

Some Notable Standard Equipment - Test Truck
5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
Vortec 5.3L V8 w/ 4-speed Auto Transmission
Z85 Handling / Trailering Suspension
4 wheel ABS
Tire Pressure Monitor Sytem
Driver Information Center (DIC)
1-year OnStar Safe & Sound

Some of the Options
Remote Vehicle Starter
Heated Window Washing Fluid (hah! in Texas?)
Navigation Radio CD/DVD/MP3 with rear seat entertainment system
Power sliding rear window
Leather seats
XM Satellite Radio
Cargo Management System

Comments

Sure sounds nice! I am afraid that with the escalating gas prices I'll have to go for a bit smaller and as big as I am, it won't be near as much fun! Thanks for the review.
    I have a similar 2007 LTX with all the bells and whistles, except for the sun roof. I have had this bad boy since March 2007. Have 21k miles including a 7k miles trip last spring on a tour of the west, including a drive up Pike's Peak and thru the Rockies. Death Valley, Zion, Brice Canyon, Arches NP, all without a single rattle, or glitch. This has to be one of the best built vehicles I have ever owned. I am a Big/Tall man and I have plenty of shoulder room as well as leg room. The only thing I have had done is Line-X the bed and rear wheel wells, and put a snazzy set of Westin Steps. It is a plush ride too. XM, Nav, Rear DVD Player. So it can be a gentleman as well as a beast in the rough. In case you all can't tell, I love my truck! The only negative is the painted bumper on the LTZ is prone to getting dinged up and requires a touch up now and then to cover up the little rust spots that appear after a dinging. I hope they put a litter heaver paint on the subsequent models.