GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

Classic Styling, Modern Technology

93 Bronco: An Overview of Things Needed and Things to Come

Rate this Entry
Well, as I said before, I bought a 1993 Ford Bronco XLT for $300. It was not running when I bought it, but I have had a long-running relationship with this truck, so I know how it runs, its quirks, and what it needs...Or so I thought. I drove this truck a good bit on back dirt roads, and beat the living daylights out of it. This particular truck is how I fell in love with Broncos in general.

Anyways, I laid the truck up probably about 4 years ago because it has some drivability issues, namely it would stall when you make a turn, and it would stall if you didn't keep your foot on the gas while idling. I figured it needs a tune-up and possibly a new IAC sensor. Not a huge deal, and fairly inexpensive. I also knew it needed new battery cables as the ones that are on it are corroded immensely, and the ends are eaten up at the battery side. Again, not a huge deal, and I was able to clean and rebuild the existing cables enough to get it to crank the motor reliably until I can replace them. The thing I wasn't expecting is that the fuel pump seems to be dead on it now. The fuel pump worked when I laid the truck up 4 years ago, but I don't know how well, maybe that was causing the stalling issues in the first place.

So, she currently sits with the rear end on jackstands awaiting me to have enough time to drop the fuel tank and test/replace the pump. Oh, and the tank's full of 4 year old gas, all 32 or so gallons worth...
Categories
Ford Bronco

Comments

Fuel pumps never fail on an empty tank, I've suspected for years this was a cruel joke being played by someone or something I just dont know who or what to blame.
    Sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you before she gets back on the trail again. I know this is a GM page but Bronco's are durable trucks that make great off-road beaters, I've owned quite a few over the years yea they've broken on the road and the trail but it wasnt more or less than my GM off-roaders.
    Those things are beasts, good luck with it. I would get the gas out and mix it with good gas at a low ratio just becuase that's like $100 worth of gas you have sitting there and it will burn, just loses a bit when it sits for that long.
    If you are going to mix good and bad gas, I would also add a can of sea foam. I think it is eight or nine bucks but it works great and will help cleaning fuel lines and your carb or injectors which ever you have. I use it and really like how well it works. I also use it before I put away my small engines for the winter. Good luck to you and merry christmas!