GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
View RSS Feed

crane3447

progress report on the trip

Rate this Entry
Man! What a busy few days. Kansas City is a great city. About 20 members of my wifes family met their for her borthers wedding. You can imagine 20 some Newfies going arooud downtown till all hours of the night. Hell of a time though. I think, so far I packed on about 10 lbs in 10 days. Drive, eat, drink. Thats it. Oh and catch some sleep when we can.

Left K.C. on Tuesday morning, after sleeping in, and drove straight to Houston. Chased her brother in his Subie' forester. Nice car but my Saturn got a full mile and a half better even though my car has a 3.5 liter v6 and his has a 2.5 liter I4. Not braggin' , just sayin'.

Now as I have said before, traffic doesn't scare me but I think it would take me a little while to get used to the traffic in Houston. Holy crap! Great city though. Cheap, cheap houses! Could sell my home in Calgary and buy one twice as large with the equity I've got build up alone. Ahh but I like free health care. I guess I'll deal. But damm the trucks are cheap. They seem that way to me anyway.

Left Houston via some of the NW back roads (2920-290-159-hwy38) and spent an afternoon at Alamo and doing the river walk. Had some of the best Mexcian food ever at "Casa Rio". Which must mean "we cook great food" Damm. Made the day. Then we got lost tring to get back on the I10 west, then hit rushhour. Stuck. Ahh well.

Spent Thursday night in a little place called Brady on hwy 87. Some beautlful country. Big country too. The temp hit 112 F(with the hum) Very warm for a cold weather Canuck like me.

As I type this I sitting in a Best western In Santa Rosa NM, on route 66. Very cool!

Now for the bad news. Lost my $450 perscription sun-glasses. I'vet had glasses since I was 4 yrs old. Strong glass can get pricey.

Get this. So I was filling up in Plainview TX and the pump doesnt cut off. Gas goes everywhere. I move the car and go inside to tell someone and when I come out and go to leave, I dropped my glasses on the parking lot. I noticed about 5 mins up the Hwy. Got back as fast as I could but by the time I returned, they were gone. A trucker say us looking around for them and told us he saw a guy roll up in a van and pick them up. Don't know why he never brought them inside. What good are a set of very heavy perscription glasses to somebody.

You know, so far we have been amazed by how friendly everyone has been. Its been fantastic. I not going to let some jerk ruin our road trip. But it still sucks!

Anyway here are a few stats from our trip so far:

10 days so far( 5 days of travel )
Aprox 6000 kms ( 3600 miles )
aprox 28 mpg
Avg. $3.55/gallon
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome, I love a good road trip!