GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

1. Billy Turner
    Billy Turner
    I just aquired a 1983 Silverado from the original owner, I have the original purchase paper work. The truck has been sitting for about 10 years without a carb. It was at least in the shade the entire time, there is very little sun damage to the interior, there is some rust on the bed, and tailgate. I was afraid the 305 engine would be seized up after sitting for so long, but I put a battery on it and the engine turned over. I got the truck, with the stipulation that I can NOT make it a race truck. It does not have to be original, but not radically changed. This will be my first restoration of any kind. I am just kinda looking for other people who may have pointers for me. I plan on having the original 305cid rebuilt, so that it has matching numbers, is this a good idea?
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  2. USMC_tank
    USMC_tank
    if you want to restore it good and the right way then yes id just do the 305 i have an 84 chevy 3/4ton with 350 in it miine is number matching and im the second owner as well. the old man died who owned it before and his son found it in the barn just chillin, he called me and i put a new battery on it and it fired up the truck was sitting since 96. my plans with it right now are to keep it as is or make it a pavement queen and be a 3/4ton sleeper... i have a 454 and a 383 at my house i just havent quiet decided if i wanna play with that one or if i wanna find me a 77-84 4x4
    if i were you id rebuild the tranny motor and rear end and keep it stock. if you wanna make it a pavement queen then you should get a 350 or a 383 and go from there... im a guy who likes running projects not just sitting projects i like to show off my work one piece at a time
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes