Yea, I'm thinking you hit the nail right on the head there Jcat. I've gotta check the one hub I didn't replace back about 20,000 miles ago.
my hubs failed 1 year apart . first right then left then right again so now its all timken. good thing I had the 2 yr warranty on those chinese hubs.
So do I have a hell of a story for you guys regarding this. Well, I pulled the front diff out and put in new seals and outer bearing and the 2 inner bearings. Put the diff back in (partially tearing my rotator in the process) and get the thing back together. Like I said in my previous posts, the front wheels were binding up in 2wd and I had no idea what could cause it. I replaced both CV Axles and the thing still bound up. Well, I called it a day yesterday because the fiance wanted to do wedding crap and it gave me time to think. I decided today when I got off of work to pull the actuator from the front axle and having her engage 4wd to see if it extended or not. When I pulled it out, the actuator was already engaged and her pushing 4wd didn't change a thing. When I asked her to put it into 2wd it didn't move. Walla, bad actuator. Luckily, I had the old actuator from my old axle and it works still. Now the front wheels are disengaged and it doesn't bind up. So, if any of you guys have that kind of problem, there is the diagnostic and the solution. Thought I would share my story with you guys.
Happy St. Patty's day. I drank a 6 pack while doing all of that. I think I'm about ready to call it a night! :sign0011:
with the front diff actuator locked on this is a good reason for your front diff problems. I know when in locked 4wd turning the steering wheel on dry solid pavement sure causes lots of binding stress on the drive train
Wow, it stinks that you did all that work and it ended up being the actuator. But, there is a bright side, you have new bearings in your front diff!
Well, it was all work that actually needed to be done. My front diff sprung a leak in my driveway (which really makes me angry) and it was from the front diff. If I'm gettin that deep into it I'm gonna do all the work so it's a long time until I have to do it again. But, when I put it back together and I tested 4wd, it wouldn't come out of 4wd and that's when I went to checking other things like cv axles and such. Turns out it was the actuator. Wild wild weekend man. I felt like I had defeated the power of fear as I crusaded across the universe in a glowing green suit and a cool ring.