2) Remove retaining ring. Remove SIR clockspring assembly. See appropriate AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEMS article in ACCESSORIES/SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Remove wave washer. Using Lock Plate Compressor (J-23563-SIR), remove and discard retaining ring. Remove shaft lock shield assembly. Remove turn signal cancelling cam.
3) On models with park lock cable, ensure lock cylinder is in OFF-LOCK position and gearshift is in Park. Insert small screwdriver into slot in lock module assembly, push against locking tab on end of cable and remove park lock cable.
4) On all models, remove 3 screws, and remove lock module assembly with upper shroud. Remove backing plate from lock module assembly. Mark 2 sector gears at PARK-LOCK position for installation reference. See Fig. 1. Remove both sector gears.
5) Using 1/8"burring tool, remove positioning tab on end of lock cylinder. See Fig. 2. Remove all burrs in and around lock module assembly and lock cylinder. From inside lock module assembly, push on locking tab and pull out lock cylinder. Clean debris from lock module assembly.
NOTE: Ensure 2 sector gears are properly aligned at OFF-LOCK position, or lock cylinder will be improperly timed.
1) Install sector gears and backing plate to lock module assembly, ensuring reference marks are aligned. Ensure sector gear in lock module is in OFF-LOCK position. Insert key in lock cylinder, and turn key to OFF-LOCK position. Align position and locking tabs with slots in lock module assembly and press lock cylinder into position.
Turn lock cylinder to ACC position, and check alignment of arrows on sector gears (arrows should point toward each other). Turn lock cylinder back to OFF-LOCK position.
2) To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. When installing turn signal cancelling cam, lubricate lower brass surface with synthetic grease. Use NEW shaft lock retaining ring. Tighten all screws to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table. Adjust park
lock cable, if necessary. See PARK LOCK CABLE in ADJUSTMENTS.