Tonight I endeavored to find a mounting location under the truck for a set of Shocker XL horns, but ultimately liked none of my options due to rock, dirt, and debris concerns. So, I pulled the grille off and located some down-firing locations behind the grille based on individual bell length. Next I took some rough measurements and determined that I need to get a 1" high x 26" long piece of steel or aluminum for use as a mount plate -- for which I intend to go shopping in the morning. I'll also need some L brackets to support the bottoms of the bells but I'll need to complete the primary bracket before I can suss those out.
Replaced wipers, all 3 Universal Joints and the Shift Shaft Seal on the transmission. Now my 60-70mph driveline vibration is gone and my transmission fluid leak is fixed!
Next up, front idler, pitman, steering dampner and ball joints....
Fabricated and fitted a bracket for my Shocker XL's out of 1/8" steel. Still need to fabricate polymer spacers, fabricate bell supports, paint all metal, and install it. Hopefully tomorrow.
Well, I guess it has started all over again now. I finely finished my truck a little over a year ago and have done almost nothing to it in over a year. Yesterday I put a new AC Delco 145 amp Alternator on my truck to fix the battery light problem. "220 dollars at the dealer for 145 amp and new" - "Re manufactured from advance 105 amp 300 dollars" I also ordered a new cowl hood for my truck and ordered a set of four Bilstien HD shocks. Will post more after installs. :glasses:
New belts put on before it got dark.
MaMa, detailed the inside while I two wheeled to work! She's a Keeper........
- Removed the grille and front bumper
- Removed the transmission cooler
- Fabricated 4 polymer spacers for the Shocker XL's
- Fabricated 4 (different) bell supports for the Shocker XL's
- Painted the bell supports
- Installed the Shocker XL's to the main mounting bracket
- Installed the main mounting bracket (with bells) and bell supports into the nose of the truck
- Installed a 1/2"OD compression fitting to the upstream port of an electric air valve for the Shocker XL's
- Installed a 4-port manifold for the Shocker XL's to the downstream port of the electric air valve
- Installed the electric air valve (w/ manifold) for the Shocker XL's into the nose of the truck
- Fashioned a new ground point for the electric valve and connected one lead of the electric valve to it
- Sized, cut, routed, connected, and zip-tied into place 4 nylon air lines from the 4-port manifold to the Shocker XL's
- Reinstalled the transmission cooler
The bumper and grille will remain off, for now, so that I can plumb an annealed copper hard line from the front air manifold (in the engine compartment) to the electric air valve and so that I can run switched +!2v to the electric air valve from the horn selector switch in the overhead console. Hopefully that'll be done this weekend, at which point I should be able to reassmble the nose of my truck.