1993 K1500 Suburban help
Hey all....Im not too knowledgable on our rides at the moment....so heres my question.
Today I try to start it up...after about 3-4 attempts it kicks over and starts. Driving this morning on it just fine....then I tried to accelorate and the entire vehicle died. Electronics all shut off, engine stopped. While it was still moving...I shifted into nuetral and tried starting it again. Once I stopped, all electronics came back on...but wouldnt crank over. Started wouldnt engage. My buddy came and picked me up and recommended I get on a Suburban club and ask in a technical forum. After the vehicle died....
Possible alternator not keeping the charge? It was about 40ish degrees this morning and its parked outside.
1993 K1500 Suburban
Thanks for the help....I know Im a noob and this being my first post...but I would appreciate any help you guys can suggest.
First Welcome Aboard. http://www.smileybee.com/s/674.gif
Check battery connections first at the battery and starter, most likely that is your problem. One loose wire is all that it takes. Make sure all are tight and clean.
After you make sure those are good, and if they are. Check battery for charge, most auto parts stores will do this for free, they will also test your alternator for free. But if the battery is good chances are the alt. is good.
Come on if it is not any of these. But I bet it is something like a loose wire.
Above is very good advice just want to add check/clean and tighten the ground from the battery to the block, poor connections are very prevalent when the weather gets cold as everything shrinks a bit. I checked mine today during my oil change.
Make sure you clean the battery terminals. If you have side post cables, I'd suggest you switch to top terminal posts. I have seen too many issues with poor contact area, loose connectors and difficulty keeping them clean.
Lead oxidizes to a dull gray and needs to been cleaned with a wire brush to a shiny finish. Just because a terminal isn't covered with some powerdery crud doesn't mean you should skip a cleaning.