Transmission Fluid Change Gone Wrong
Due to delayed shifts I decided to spend some time checking/working on my transmission/differentials. I have had the truck for some time and I do not know when these were done last. Hoping that serious damage had not already been done, I busted out my Haynes and some how-to articles and decided the first step would be flushing/changing the fluid. Picked up the fluid and my deep filter and went to work.
To start, my drain plug was stripped and fused to the pan; not even PB blaster could help me (strange). I was able to at first with moderate success remove some of the pan bolts without spilling transmission fluid everywhere. There were a few spots where other brackets/interfaces got in the way, so I removed what I could. There was one bolt however in the corner closest to the shift linkage that was determined to be a royal PITA. Trying to get this out was at first challenging, but with enough adjustment, man grunting and hand soaked in transmission fluid, I was able to get it out. The mess was getting worse, but for all intensive purposes I was confident it was something the kitty liter would handle.
I started to work to remove the pan as gingerly as possible, never having broken it open before I did not know what fragile components were being protected directly above it. It was clear that the forming of the pan was to make space for these components, as there was very little space to maneuver the pan around. I tilted it to spill as much of the fluid in to the drain as possible. Realizing the the shift linkage bracket was still in the way, and the only bolt I could feel was rusted like a piece of steel in the dead sea; I knew I was going to have to get creative.
Using my new stanley super wonder bar, and continued to pry the bracket out of the way to gain clearance without damaging other transmission components. I worked to finagle the pan for the next <insert more time than I am willing to admit> with no success. It seems like the How-To suggests the pan is removed starting from the back end first, but this is not possible with the exhaust pipe that crosses over in the way. It can not be translated over any further because of the bracket/shift linkage, and virtually every movement contacts something above (ie what the pan is protecting). I retired for the evening a broken man at around 11PM, and proceeded to console my irritation with a 1lb burger; which worked to perfection.
The way I see it, I only have a few choices:
- Drop the exhaust and try to move the pan without it in the way
- Cut the bracket with a dremmel tool (hope transmission fluid isn't too flammable)
The bracket is rusted, so I figure I'll have to deal with that one later anyway; so cutting it doesn't bother me. Speak up to let me know if I am doing something wrong before I do something stupid. Thanks!