GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Adding a hand throttle to 04 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L gasser?

I know there are a number of hand throttle kits available for Jeeps in order to keep the RPM's up from outside the vehicle when winching, running an EDC (engine driven compressor), etc. Can anyone point me to something for Silverados/Sierras? I've been looking and haven't found anything...

If not, can someone tell me what I might have to tap to electronically control the throttle? I'm interested in a throttle control kit for those times when I need higher RPM's while stopped ... when outside the cab. I'm happy to make or modify something to do it ... but I'm not well-enough versed to know where to begin with our trucks.

I believe that the NBS truck's 5.3L still has a mechanical link to the throttle body, so if you could find a way to link in to the throttle link you could easily control the truck's rpms.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

While I havent hooked one up to a GM truck I can tell you what myself and a lot of the off-road guys are using for hand throttles.
    Bicycle gear shifters.
    On my Tacoma and my Jeep I have bicycle thumb shifters attached to the trucks gear shift, I ran the cable down through the shifter boot and around to the throttle body.
    I used a scrap piece of metal bent into an "L" one leg has a hole and is bolted through an existing hole directly in line with the throttle cable and the other leg of the "L" has a hole for the cable and the cable adjuster to fit through so I can adjust it to keep cable tension correct.
    I hooked the cable around an extra arm coming off of the throttle mechanism so it uses the throttle return spring. I just used a regular cable swedge to crimp it on.
    Bicycle thumb shifters have a friction lock so you can adjust the handle throttle tension whereever it's needed. I normally keep the friction lock tight and just move the thumb lever back and forth to operate.
    Let me know if you want pics for ideas and I can snap some this weekend.
    Total cost for this is about $10 and shouldnt take more than an hour to fab up.
    I think you could probably put the thumb throttle on your column shifter.