GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Unneccessary options

When I bought my truck it came with a lot of options I'll never use, what a waist of money. Take the electric heated mirrors, try and you'll pull back a stub. I didn't need them 2 weeks ago but I wouldn't be without them now. How about the Heated seats, it took a 10 degree day before I would even aknowledge their presence, Now I can't believe it took so long to get them. Leather interior, your kidding me, what's wrong with cloth, if you don't know you need to check the leather seats out for yourself. What about that High dollar Bose stereo, My kraco always sounded fine with the 4 inch tweeters, Right keep your medling fingers off the stereo friend, it's part of me now. Electric seats, who needs that anyway? It's just extra things to go wrong, talk about wrong, a manual slider is just to primitive for me now. I love my electric seats, if for nothing else I can adjust the adjustables to change my angle and my attitude. I just realized something, my truck doesn't have anything I don't need. Now where did I put that accessory catalog at.
    2014 Silverado
    Bob.

Bob, you mean trucks have these things now??? I've got to buy something newer than a 1970. Thanks. hehe
    Jay :happy: Waxhaw, N.C.
    70 Chevy C-10 Stepside from 86 lowered 2" front 3" back, 383ci/350hp. elec. seats,functioning cowl, wood bed, hidden hitch, hidden tach, long headers, duel 3" exhaust. perform int., semi-aggressive cam (no specs.)
    69 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 350 ci 3spd. mild cam, 270hp,stock.duel 2.5" exhaust. Lowered 2" made own blocks

89 Ski Marlin Boat 350 ci:party: pulling machine. 7 skiiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smoke View Post
    Bob, you mean trucks have these things now??? I've got to buy something newer than a 1970. Thanks. hehe
    No you don’t want all those extras, I miss the older ones like yours. Points, carburetor, no computer.

Just more crap to go wrong, as my dad used to say.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Thanks Fiero. Stay warm up there in Farmington. If it's to cold, come down to NC, we'll warm you up. I'll let you drive the 330 hp trucks. Merry Christmas.

Well, it's progress. That's the reason that a new truck will set you back more than your grandparents first house. They're safer, get better gas mileage, last longer in general and are designed to help you enjoy the drive. The 2008 Silverado I drove about a month ago was just as nice of a drive as the 2002 Caddilac I drove on vacation.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

If there's one option that I wish my truck didn't have it's the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) Since I didn't opt to have like $230 worth of sensors put in my new tires my check tire pressure light is on. Great option for old people but for people that don't mind takin a look to see if thier tires need air it's just annoying.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Quote Originally Posted by finalday7 View Post
    If there's one option that I wish my truck didn't have it's the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) Since I didn't opt to have like $230 worth of sensors put in my new tires my check tire pressure light is on. Great option for old people but for people that don't mind takin a look to see if thier tires need air it's just annoying.
    Yeah, it stinks when you go to change your rims too, you have to get them with the sensors. However, if your tire is about the blow, you'll see the pressure readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yeah, it stinks when you go to change your rims too, you have to get them with the sensors. However, if your tire is about the blow, you'll see the pressure readings.

Also, there is a move to make the TPMS and a central tire-inflation system as well. So if you get a small leak, like a nail, it will pump air in and keep your tire from blowing.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smoke View Post
    Yeah, my truck does about everything but wipe my runny nose and I love it. I'm getting spoiled by this truck. Running out of excuses to drive it. I'm burning more gas than I ever thought possible. If I don't hurry up and get used to the goodies I'll need to get a part time job just to afford the gas. I'm intentionally forgetting stuff when I'm in town just so I'll have an excuse to go back to town again. I can't imagine how nice a 3 year newer truck would be.

Gotta love the extra features. I've always bought vehicles fully loaded since I know I'm going to want/need every possible option that's available, and then some. Well, except for the optional engine block heater.

I know lots of people laugh at times when you mention all the " expensive" and "useless" features that these new vehicles have. But once they go for a ride, set their own temperature using tri-zone HVAC controls, use the heated seats in freezing cold weather, check out the sat nav when they have no idea where they are, and can't help but noticed you just checked the exact tire pressure for all 4 wheels without leaving the vehicle... they'll catch on... eventually.

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by