GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: NP246 Pump Rub

Hybrid View

Angry NP246 Pump Rub

Well guys I have been an unfortunate one and have gotten bitten by the "pump rub" . I noticed it a few weeks ago and did a quick JB Weld patch on the outside of the case to stall it until I could get the parts so I can fix it. I also put some more fluid to top it off to keep it working. My luck I have a sport bike to drive while I don't drive her much in case something were to happen.

I have just received my parts to fix the issue and will be tearing into it tomorrow after work. She should be up and running by the end of the weekend if all goes well and as planned. I got my main part from Merchant Automotive and is the pump upgrade kit(http://www.merchant-automotive.com/t...grade-kit.aspx). Also I ordered a replacement backer plate that acts as the anti-rattle clip that is put in at the factory.

I plan on taking the drive and output shafts off and dropping the case. After that is said and done I will be putting in the upgrade parts and reenforcing the area that has been grooved out with JB Weld to make it stronger for future. I will try my best to do a write up on it and take pics as I go about the job. Also let you guys know what I would do different or what would make things easier.
    Jack It Up Fat Chicks Can't Jump-Kansas HickLyfe

'03 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3- 4" Rough Country Lift Kit/33" Terra Grapplers/17" Helo Rims
    '08 Buell 1125R
    '11 Apollo Mini PitBike

Sr. Engineer

So you do not intend to replace the worn case but will repair damaged one with JB weld?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

For now yes because of funds to buy a new rear half for the case. But I have just pulled it tonight and have it about 50% of the way done. And hopefully will have it back together tomorrow night.

Sr. Engineer

Hopefully it will be a lasting repair. Keep us informed and for sure post some pictures and a write up.