GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My onstar rant! Well, kinda

Today while I was driving a heard an onstar commercial about how they alert police and fire services in the event of an accident. It got me thinking. My 2003 Yukon XL had 10 month of onstar service left when I bought it. When I was in the accident that totaled that truck onstar did not do anything. (yes, there was airbag deployment) No call, nothing. Then I realized that my battery had been split in two and the positive cable blew right off the battery. No Power=No onstar. I find it sort of dumb that something that is meant to get help to you in the case of an emergency does not work if the battery is damaged. Especially when many if not most GM vehicles have the battery located in one of the front corners. Why do they not have some sort of battery backup? Not a huge 12v car battery, just a cell phone size battery? I understand cost of putting them in during the manufacture process and the added cost of the owner having to replace them every few years. But, come on! Who the heck designed something that is dependent on one of the first things damaged in a substantial frontal collision? An even better question is who approved said design for production? I'm done with my rant now. Thanks for reading

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I watched a discovery special about the onstar controllers on newer models and most now have a back up battery system. Also I don't think GM planned that the battery of a vehicle would ever be hit that hard. Also latest gen of Chevy SUVs have the main battery away from the very front.
    http://carreviewsline.com/chevrolet/...engine-image4/

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Tha battery for my truck is up by the firewall on the passanger side. I hope for those that want to use the service that glickes like that have been fixed since.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Pikey,
    The original design was, indeed, a poor one. What surprises me, most, is that there's no spare battery by the OnStar unit, itself ... as there's plenty of space for a small backup battery in that location.

I dont know when they changed the equipment, as far back as 2008 at least maybe earlier but I know my wifes 08 HHR has a back-up battery for the On Star system be cause while it was at the shop for body work they had the battery out and somebody set off one of the sensors, since the bags were disconnected they didnt go off but On Star was alerted and it was on my monthly report, which is how I knew to ask the body shop what happened to the car while they had it.