GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy Is chat coming back?

I was under the impression chat was only gone temporarily ... but it's been a few weeks, now, so I figured I'd ask if it's coming back, and if so, when?

That had crossed my mind also... it would be nice to have it back.

i will third this, i miss it as well.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

forward this motion need chat back!

I would agree. Using the chat option made it a lot easier to talk about possible mods with others that have done the mod in questions.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

As far as I know, there are no immediate plans to bring that function back. It was using a lot of resources with diminishing returns.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

As Alox already noted, the presence of chat made mod discussions and opinion-gathering (on current and future mods) a lot easier -- especially among the regulars.

I am curious what kind of resource utilization problem(s) existed that caused it be to removed, what 'returns' were expected, and where/how chat fell short on those 'returns'. Please explain so that we can understand...

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    As far as I know, there are no immediate plans to bring that function back. It was using a lot of resources with diminishing returns.

I am not sure what you mean by using allot of resources. Any website that can't run a simple chat bar is in need of serious upgrades since 2000. I could understand a resource issue if we had videos like Youtube and needed multiple server farms for this website.

I don't think this site is quite that complicated.

Basically, the discussion talked about how it was being used frequently when it was first introduced, but over time, it lost popularity and it's use slowed to a crawl compared to what it was in the beginning. Steve decided that it was not worth the not only the resources used on the server, but the human resources to keep it secure from hacking attempts.

I am not the administrator here and I don't have any control over what plug-ins are installed or removed. the question about when it was coming back was asked and I answered that with the latest information I have. That's the best I can do.

Live chat modules use a large number of database queries, processor, ram and traffic bandwidth resources. It also introduces new security vulnerabilities that potentially allow hackers access.

To summarize...
    Original question: "When is the live chat coming back?"
    Answer to original question: "Don't hold your breath."
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

The problem is conflict between different plug-ins, and I'm not a programmer at that level to figure it out. The chat bar would appear over the top of the [DONE] button when people uploaded photos to their albums and as attachments inside of threads would not be able to easily hit that button to finish out.

Also, the stats showed that only a small handful of people even used the chat at all. Most days saw only 4 or 5 people sending direct messages back and forth. It was nice for the long-time members to quickly chat with each other, but we have other ways to get this done. It's just going to be one of the things on my 18-point to-do-list for the fall.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today