GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default I fixed my factory Bose 6 disc changer for under $100

When I bought my 2005 yukon xl the cd player did not work. It just flashed a disc symbol and would not do anything else. I took the head unit apart and discovered that the previous owner had 3 discs jammed in it and attempted to pry them out with something. All the trays that the discs went into were bent. So, I did some research and found the complete mechanism for $138 + $12 shipping and a $50 core. I looked around more and found just the Bare mechanism for $72+$10 shipping. (no circuit board attached). Here is how I fixed it: For some reason my pics all posted in reverse order and I can not figure out how to fix them.

I removed the head unit from the truck
    Then I removed the screw that hold the top cover on the unit. I carefully pried the top open.

Then I removed the faceplate by carefully prying the tabs up. There are 2 on each side. The the faceplate pulls straight off.
    Next, I removed the two screws under the faceplate.
    Now, you need to remove the 2 screws on the opposite side.
    The mechanism will now lift out of the unit. Carefully pull the ribbon cable out of the connector.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	44221the circuit board needs to be moved from the old mech to the new one. (no those are not my hands, they are my four year olds)

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	1151 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	44222there are 3 screws thatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg 
Views:	1173 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	44223 need removed
    You will also need to remove the bracket and put it on the new mech
    Remove the 4 ribbon cables and the one white connector. Slide the board out and reverse the process to reinstall. It took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0414.jpg   IMG_0416.jpg   IMG_0417.jpg   IMG_0418.jpg   IMG_0423.jpg  

Last edited by Pikey; 09-27-2012 at 10:38 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

2. Thanks broonsbane thanked for this post

So I guess the only question left to ask is were the CD's good music or were they something like Barry Manilows greatest hits?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Nice write up... Hey when you were younger did you take apart all your toys and rebuild them BETTER??? LOL

Kidding.. Nice job
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

My question is for something like a head unit, why not just buy a new one with USB and have a 300 disc changer with out the CD's. Head units are not expensive these days.

Yes, I did take all my toys apart (and my friends toys). @nakranij , I am not interested in putting a new head unit in. I never liked the look of an aftermarket radio in my truck. I am happy with the sound quality of the bose system. So, I see no point in spending more then what it cost me to fix the unit I like to put a unit in that I can't stand the look of. I know people can do nice installs and have seen some very nice installs. I just do not like seeing a dash "bastardized" to fit an aftermarket radio. Yes, I know that I could get a nice double Din to fit, but that is going to cost much more than $82. @tbplus10 No, The CDs that were in it were a weird mix.(and all cracked because someone attempted to remove them with a knife or screwdriver.) A Gospel piano music CD, A slayer CD, and some other hard rock CD. A strange combo to say the least. I am assuming that the Gospel CD and the Slayer CD had a disagreement and that is what caused the issue inside the mechanism.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    When I bought my 2005 yukon xl the cd player did not work. It just flashed a disc symbol and would not do anything else. I took the head unit apart and discovered that the previous owner had 3 discs jammed in it and attempted to pry them out with something. All the trays that the discs went into were bent. So, I did some research and found the complete mechanism for $138 + $12 shipping and a $50 core. I looked around more and found just the Bare mechanism for $72+$10 shipping. (no circuit board attached). Here is how I fixed it: For some reason my pics all posted in reverse order and I can not figure out how to fix them.

I removed the head unit from the truck
    Then I removed the screw that hold the top cover on the unit. I carefully pried the top open.

Then I removed the faceplate by carefully prying the tabs up. There are 2 on each side. The the faceplate pulls straight off.
    Next, I removed the two screws under the faceplate.
    Now, you need to remove the 2 screws on the opposite side.
    The mechanism will now lift out of the unit. Carefully pull the ribbon cable out of the connector.

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	44221the circuit board needs to be moved from the old mech to the new one. (no those are not my hands, they are my four year olds)

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	1151 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	44222there are 3 screws thatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg 
Views:	1173 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	44223 need removed
    You will also need to remove the bracket and put it on the new mech
    Remove the 4 ribbon cables and the one white connector. Slide the board out and reverse the process to reinstall. It took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish.
    Thank you very much for this writeup. My cd player was out of commission for two or three years. I came across this posting from a search. The CD mechanism was ordered from a vendor that advertises at eBay also. The small electronics board had to be transferred to the new CD mechanism. The reassembly took a few minutes and I can listen to my CDs again.

8. Thanks broonsbane thanked for this post
    Likes Pikey liked this post

Hi thanks for the tutorial.. I'm trying to fix my fathers 6 cd player. Can either of you give links to where you bought the mechanism? All I can find are onesthat are around $150 or so...
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by broonsbane View Post
    Hi thanks for the tutorial.. I'm trying to fix my fathers 6 cd player. Can either of you give links to where you bought the mechanism? All I can find are onesthat are around $150 or so...
    Thanks in advance
    i sent you a pm

ReplacementRadios
    http://replacementradios.com/gm-2004...e16478b2212c6d

Quote Originally Posted by broonsbane View Post
    Thanks in advance