GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default another cooling issue !! help

1990 silverado 1500 4x4 5.7tbi

So today i changed my t-stat (180 degree), radiator cap, water pump , and coolant temp sensor and i flushed the system in my driveway.

i did all this because my temp gauge would rise to overheating level. no smoke or anything like that. my boss has a dump truck with a 5.7 tbi and it feels slightly cooler but not much.

i changed everything and put it all back together and i does the same thing . could this be my temp sending unit or i read something about some pumps being reversed rotation but they bolt up the same( how do i figure this out ) ? also my manual says that cooling capacity is 17 quarts but when i was putting my coolant in it only took about 10 quarts.

thanks in advance !

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thats because you didnt drain the block...
    And you replaced the sensor on top of the intake???? If you did then that is the wrong one you need to change the temp Switch.... That is between the #1 and #3 cylinders on the head.
    Also if you truly are overheating then you may have a bad head gasket or intake gasket...
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

im going to change the one on the block on tuesday. and how do you drain the block? i put the t stat housing an and ran i hose clamped down so it had pressure but i gues thats not good enough?

To drain the engine completly you need to remove the drain plugs from the block. They are located at the very bottom about 1 inch up from the oil pan gasket surface, in the middle (front to rear) of the block just behind the engine mount. The driver side takes a 9/16 wrench, and the pass. side normally has the knock sensor screwed into the drain port instead of a plug. Most older engines when you remove the drains wont drain until you shove a screwdriver into the hole to remove the crap that settles in the bottom of the block.
    As for temps, you should confirm the temp with another source so you dont waste your time and money. I would use a digital/laser temp readers that are pretty cheap nowadays, or borrow a friends!! Measure the temp of the upper and lower rads hoses close to the engine, it should be close to the gauge readings.
    Side note... i have a 195f stat in my truck.

thanks ill try that out after i replace the temp sender today and let you guys know how it goes !

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

also should i run the truck with those plugs out to try to flush some crap out ?

Legend
    Blog Entries

No dont run the engine with out anything in the block it will overheat and heat improperly very quickly and cause damage possilbly to the water pump bearings...

well i drained and flushed it by taking the bolt out of the block and i also took out the sending unit and bought a new one. still nothing same stuff. finally i got pissed and took the thermostat out and ran it without it and it ran at or below the middle of the gauge . so im going to get another thermostat and im also thinking about changing my fan clutch also thinking about having the cooling system pressure flushed .

also how do i figure out if i have reversed rotation

Sr. Engineer

Assuming your truck has a single serpentine belt on it, it should have a reverse rotation pump on it. The smooth side of the belt should be against the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley is supposed to rotate in the opposite direction of every other pulley.

smooth side is on the pulley and im assuming its supposed to go counter clockwise if im looking at the motor from the front bumper ..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by