GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default SES light due to radiator flush and refill?

I did a flush on my system and put in the stuff made for GM vehicles, kind of redish. Now my SES light won't go off. 97 S10 Blazer is my vehicle. Did I use the wrong stuff?

I doubt that a fluid flush caused a SES light. Even if you used the wrong stuff. Is the overflow bottle full to the cold line? Sometimes low coolant will cause a SES. Take it to autozone and see what the code is.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Coolant flushes will not cause a ses light to come on. Did you "burp" the system after refilling? Low coolant might make the light come on. The best thing is to read the code and see what it is. Perhaps you knocked a wire loose under the hood while working on it. Did you replace or remove the thermostat? If so, did you make sure to reattach all of the ground wires to the housing (if it had any connected to begin with)

The first step is to scan it and see why the light is on.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Well the light is off now, maybe it was reading low coolant. Anyways I'm running at super low temps now even for being in Las Vegas. Normally it was on 210ish and not it's on the notch between 210 and 100. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaT View Post
    Well the light is off now, maybe it was reading low coolant. Anyways I'm running at super low temps now even for being in Las Vegas. Normally it was on 210ish and not it's on the notch between 210 and 100. How cool is that?
    Well, not cool at all. The engine requires a hot, not warm, engine to efficiently burn fuel and develop power. That is way there is a thermostat. The thermostat should keep the temp at, or near, 190.

Did you change the thermostat when you did the flush? It should always be changed.

If you changed it, did you buy the correct temp?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Nope didn't change it. I've never changed my thermostat.

Now might be a good time to replace the thermostat...