GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 9006 replaced with a 9005?

I was considering changing out my low beam bulbs from a 9006 to a 9005. I know that it takes a little work with a file to do, but no big deal.From what I understand the 9006(55w) puts out 1000 lumens and the 9005(65w) puts out 1700. My question is has anyone done this? Does it blind other drivers? how is the light pattern? looking at the bulbs the 9006 has some paint on the tip, the 9005 does not. Thanks in advance

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I was also wondering if anyone has tried the HIR bulbs (9012)?(9011)

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I was considering changing out my low beam bulbs from a 9006 to a 9005. I know that it takes a little work with a file to do, but no big deal.From what I understand the 9006(55w) puts out 1000 lumens and the 9005(65w) puts out 1700. My question is has anyone done this? Does it blind other drivers? how is the light pattern? looking at the bulbs the 9006 has some paint on the tip, the 9005 does not. Thanks in advance
    I did it without modification to my headlight assemblies -- by switching from 2004 OEM Sierra assemblies to 2004 Yukon Denali assemblies. The latter uses 9005's for both low beams and high beams ... and has projectors for the lows. The difference is noticeable but I'd hazard a guess that it's a combination of the projector and the 9005 that causes it.

Didn't you just pick up some Yukon Denali assemblies?

I did but they were not OEM. So, they used a H1 bulb as the low beam. I sold them on Craigs list

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Bummer.

It's only 1 amp more that's drawn so you should be good to plug the 9005's into the same connection you used for 9006's. Given that you just spent and recovered 200 clams, perhaps try the mod to 9005's and, if you don't like it, order some replacement assemblies from Certifit? (You'll get new lenses with no need to restore them ... and be back with 9006's in the even of not liking 9005's). That gives you a fallback plan at less than 200 clams, I'd think.

To fit the 9005 I do not have to modify the housing. Just the bulb. I am considering the HIR 2012 bulb for it. I am just worried about blinding other drivers

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    To fit the 9005 I do not have to modify the housing. Just the bulb. I am considering the HIR 2012 bulb for it. I am just worried about blinding other drivers
    Sorry, I failed to correctly remember which (housing or bulb) needed to change. Since it's just the bulb plastics that's all the more reason to try it. If it goes poorly you'll know pretty quickly and can undo it readily. Carry your 9006's in the vehicle with you and you can do it on the spot if it's an issue.

I don't blind other drivers with 9005's in lows, highs, and fogs ... but my fogs are deliberarely aimed more downward than usual and my lows are projectors.

Sometimes, that one additional amp will cause the connector to melt.

My suggestion, change the 9006 to a 9012 and change the 9005 to a 9011.

The new lamps draw the same current as the oem bulbs; therefore, the wattage stays the same (meeting fed regs), but the output is 80% brighter.

And...............no lamp, or socket mods.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Sometimes, that one additional amp will cause the connector to melt.
    Interestingly, the OEM connector on the truck simply plugs into a higher gauge conector on the OEM Yukon Denali assemblies ... suggesting that heat from the bulb, itself, might be a factor ... but that the same (9006) truck-side connector wiring is used without issue for 9005's at the connection point on the Yukon Denalis.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    My suggestion, change the 9006 to a 9012 and change the 9005 to a 9011.

The new lamps draw the same current as the oem bulbs; therefore, the wattage stays the same (meeting fed regs), but the output is 80% brighter.
    Now you've got me thinking about trying 9011's for my lows. highs, and fogs. Sadly I worry they'll be down in the 3500 kelvin range and look super yellow. However, it's worth looking at. Are you familiar with a reputable online source of 9011/9012's?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Now you've got me thinking about trying 9011's for my lows. highs, and fogs. Sadly I worry they'll be down in the 3500 kelvin range and look super yellow. However, it's worth looking at. Are you familiar with a reputable online source of 9011/9012's?
    The specs for the 9005 show 1700 lumens and for the 9011 is 2300 lumens. I don't know the temp.

Hmmm, in looking around, I see that GE discontinued the 901x bulbs. They have been replaced with the HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs. Hmmm, just renamed.

Something to read: http://hirheadlights.com/
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast