GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default HELP fuel pressure regulator...

When I started my truck I let go of the key too soon and the truck didn't start (only1-2 cranks) I let it sit a few seconds and retried, cranking only a few times and stopping....didn't start. So now I try again with my foot on the throttle a little, still nothing but I can smell gas. Get out of the truck and gas is on the ground , pop the hood -turn the key gas is dripping from the fpr. I kill the key and look at the fpr, it seems to have popped out. Looks as if the retaining clamp jumped over the notches?? It easily pulls all the way out without taking the retainer off. So I re-seat it and put the retainer clip on and all is good...

So now i'm wondering what caused this? Was it my short start, combined with hitting the gas too much pressure? Or is my fpr shot?

What year truck and what size engine?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

By the way, never had any problems starting before..and it has 89,000 miles.

Damn, those are some low miles! Sounds like your truck should be in good shape, over all. My 2001 4.8L just passed 145,000 miles. I had to replace the fuel pump in the tank but never any issues with the FPR.

I've checked it a couple times after driving, I can't see how it could come apart, I can't even pull it off. The truck was my dads, I've had it for two years now. I haven't had any work done on it, it must not have been put on right.

Better get a lottery ticket. You were lucky it did not catch on fire.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Legend

with the key on engine off you have the max pressure. the regulator has no vacuum so the pressure to the injectors is at max with a cold engine max injector open time.

pressure will be 60-62psi. pumping the pedal does not effect pressure or add more fuel to the engine.

the clip may have been improperly seated. also the metal does get rusted .

the FPR fails by the internal diaphram breaking causing fuel to get into the vacuum line. that is used by the reg to reduce pressure at idle to about 55PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with the key on engine off you have the max pressure. the regulator has no vacuum so the pressure to the injectors is at max with a cold engine max injector open time.

pressure will be 60-62psi. pumping the pedal does not effect pressure or add more fuel to the engine.

the clip may have been improperly seated. also the metal does get rusted .

the FPR fails by the internal diaphram breaking causing fuel to get into the vacuum line. that is used by the reg to reduce pressure at idle to about 55PSI.
    I guess it must have not been seated right, that would mean its been that way for several years.
    Thanks for the replies.