GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Question about tuner

So i have a 2006 Duramax with the lbz. I'm lookin to get a tuner for it. I've been searchin around and I've found one for a pretty good price i was just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on it. whether its a good tuner or not worth spendin money on. its a Diablo sport predator tuner. any thoughts are greatly appreciated

The Predator tuner is a very solid device with quite a few options for tuning options, however Diablo is replacing it with the new iTune system. In order to keep up with the most current updates in the future, I would give the iTune a closer look. Good hunting!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

well i'm kinda stuck at a crossroad here to be honest. i'm lookin hard into these tuners but im not sure i can afford the more exspensive diablos yet which is really makin me think twice about it. theres several upgrades i wanna make to my truck but i dont have the money for them all.. now i'm really lookin into installin a leveling kit because #1 i found a rough country 2" for 130 bucks. its comes with the keys and brackets. i'm also looking into cow pushers(grille guard) and cosmetic things aswell as exhaust mods. i havent decided whether i wanted to go looks or performance first. thoughts?

Well, I'd look at the modifications in either a "need" or "want" light. For instance, the first mods I put on my truck after purchasing it were side steps, bed liner, and tonneau cover. I do a lot of traveling and have vertically challenged family members, so these were pretty much needed! As much as I would have loved to go straight for the cosmetic and performance upgrades, I needed to start with the mods that were more pressing for my needs from the truck. Now if there's nothing overly pressing that you need for your truck, I'd say go performance! Nothing like a high performance truck that looks stock!

You might try craigslist for a tuner if you live in a larger city (inventory) and can check before buying. Hang in there for the right unit at the right price. Be careful for 'VIN locked' units that won't work on more than one vehicle (the sellers). The manufacturer can help you there.

Look into efi live. It's amazing. It takes a little more work than a plug and play tuner but you get 5 different tunes. I just installed mine and was averaging 22.5 mpg hwy.. If you just want a canned tuner, I would get a PPE. They would be my 2nd option if you really didn't want to get involved with efi live even though I strongly recommend it.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light