GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 88 Chevy - Turn Signal Issue

Hi, my truck is a 88 Chev 1500, with a rebuilt 1989 Astrovan 4.3 motor. This is what was explained to me when I bought it for $2200, about 11 years ago. I'm no mechanic so, basically I took the owners word on the whole rebuilt thing.

Anyways the truck has served me well.

Currently I'm having some issues with turn signals. I think it's been problematic for a few years cause, I seem to be replacing bulbs quite frequently. Anyways this issue that started a couple days ago went like this.

I got a fast blink happening on the gauges turning left, then shortly thereafter the right did the same. I got home and checked the bulbs all around. All was good. Then later that day I jump in the truck and I'm getting nothing on the dash signals and no clicking sound from the relay. I replaced the 4 blade relay, and still nothing. I noticed there is a 5 blade relay next to it. Should I replace that? I have no idea if it has anything to do with the turn signals. Oh and I checked the fuse, it's fine.

Update: Ok I replaced the 5 blade too. Still no go. I have normal blinking dash and truck lights when the hazard is pulled. I still get no dash blinking on both arrows when the lever is actuated, and no exterior lights blink. All light bulbs are good. Fuse is good.

So what's left. Faulty Turn Signal Switch?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Deek; 09-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    I replaced the 4 blade relay, and still nothing. I noticed there is a 5 blade relay next to it.
    Update: Ok I replaced the 5 blade too.
    Thanks
    Where were these relays, under the dash, or in the fuse panel?

When the 4 way flashers are working do you have all lights flashing as they should? Your description sounds like it is so. When the 4 ways are flashing, you should be able to hear the 4 way flasher module clicking, is the sound coming from one of the relays you changed?

The sound should be coming from under the dash, follow the sound to the module, the signal module should be near the 4 way (if not the same flasher).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

The turn signals use a three-prong flasher, not a four-prong. You switched the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Where were these relays, under the dash, or in the fuse panel?

When the 4 way flashers are working do you have all lights flashing as they should? Your description sounds like it is so. When the 4 ways are flashing, you should be able to hear the 4 way flasher module clicking, is the sound coming from one of the relays you changed?

The sound should be coming from under the dash, follow the sound to the module, the signal module should be near the 4 way (if not the same flasher).
    Yes, both of these relays were plugged into the fuse panel below, left of my feet.

Yes, when the 4 ways are on, all lights included the dash lights are blinking as they should, and I do indeed hear the clicking coming from one of the two relays that I changed.

Yet when I simply pull the turn signal arm, I get nothing, no clicking no exterior or interior lights flashing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    The turn signals use a three-prong flasher, not a four-prong. You switched the wrong one.
    Hi . well all I can say is one of the two modules said flasher on it. That one was 4 prong and the one beside it that had no reference to flashing, just numbers etc, was a 5 prong.

Yet when I simply pull the turn signal arm, I get nothing, no clicking no exterior or interior lights flashing.
    At this time, I'd be looking at the switch connected to the flasher stalk. When you operate the switch arm, do you feel anything clicking, in other words, does it feel normal,or is it unusual?

Unless something is broken inside the switch, it is unusual for both sides to stop working at the same time. If the switch feels/sounds and operates normally, have you checked the fuse? There is one fuse that provides power to the common arm of the switch, it may be the problem.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Yes, both of these relays were plugged into the fuse panel below, left of my feet.

Yes, when the 4 ways are on, all lights included the dash lights are blinking as they should, and I do indeed hear the clicking coming from one of the two relays that I changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi . well all I can say is one of the two modules said flasher on it. That one was 4 prong and the one beside it that had no reference to flashing, just numbers etc, was a 5 prong.
    Interesting. I suppose it could be the turn signal switch, then. The hazard switch's mechanism isn't directly connected to it. Or it could be a bad connection somewhere. What you could do is look in a Haynes or Chilton book and find the electrical diagram for the turn signal. Unplug the connector under the dash. Find the wires for one of the signals, doesn't matter which side. Put the key in Run and run a jumper wire from your positive post to that wire. If it works, then your turn signal switch is bad.