GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Oil Pressure gauge. What should it read for a 5.3L with DEXOS1 oil?

Does any know what is a normal reading for this engine? My new 2012 1500 5.3L oil gauge never goes about the 40PSI mark. My old Astro would always be around 60 abd below 40 on idle. I recall many old engines it was always around 60psi. There are no warning lights on and everything is normal.

my 11 sierra is always in that area. jumps a smidge when i really get on it, but otherwise it sits around the 40 mark.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

As long as you have 7 psi X 1000 rpm's your good. Every engine and oil sender are different.

My truck's oil pressure stays at 20 during idle and raises to about 40 during normal rpm and driving. The only time my oil pressure is anywhere close to 60 is when I first start the truck and the oil is thick. This info is from a 1996 Tahoe with a 5.7L Vortec running Pennsoil high mileage synthetic 5W-30 with a Fram Tough Guard filter.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

your vehicle uses a ac pf48 filter. the specs are below. this has a low pressure bypass valve in it. when the oil is cold the bypass opens to reduce pressure. not the same as my 2000 5.3L. which with mobil1 5-30wt oil the pressure is 40-60psi. . with reg oil it used to go to 75psi on a cold winter start up. not with synthetic. this will never occur with that PF48 fillter .Because that bypass relief valve will open..........

spec of Pf 48
    Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
    Case Diameter: 2.95 in
    Efficiency: 98% @ 30mc mc
    Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
    Filter Type/Category: 3" Oil
    Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.39 in
    Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.77 in
    Height: 3.34 in
    Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
    Oil Filter Type: 3" Oil
    Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 18-24 PSI
    Spin On: Yes
    Thread Size: M22 x 1.5 (Special)

From some of your other post's I'm going to guess you have the 5.3.
    Normal warm engine oil pressure readings on that engine are between 30 and 40 psi. The 5.3 engine with AFM pressures cannot be compared to any other truck because this engine has a completely different valve train operation due to the AFM system that shuts down some cylinders, oil pressure is intentionally kept lower and PSI is more regulated to stop from over pressurizing when the engine goes into the V-4 mode.

All good info. Thanks everyone. FYI, in South Florida the weather is always warm. A cold day is not getting out of the 60 degree range and it might last one or two days. Average mean temperature is 75 degrees in Palm Beach County. Therefore, cold thick oil rarely occurs but with Mobil 1, it never will.

I'd say 20-30 PSI at idle warm. When warm at speed 30-40 PSI.