GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Question Thought it was a rear outer seal.....

Took the 96 3500 on a 4 hour trip a couple weeks ago, with the camper in tow. When I get home, I notice some fluid spray all over the front of the camper, back of the tail gate and bumper, and in the lh rear wheel well. First thing that went through my mind was rear outer seal, so I ordered one. Now I that I have time to work on it, I crawl under the truck to find the tire, brake assembly, and axle from the leaf pack out is dry. That has me ruling out the seal. Despite the red color of the fluid hanging from the underside of the truck bed and off the brake lines, I have my wife jam on the brakes. I know how brake fluid feels and thats not it. It also does not smell like rear end fluid even though the breather tube is in that general area. That leaves me with the thought that the shock had a catastrophic blowout. So I unbolt the bottom of the shock, it pushes up with nearly no resistance but requires about 100lbs of pressure to travel back down. Sound like a blown shock to you? I feel like such a cheep a$$ but I dont feel like replacing something that's not broke. And I need to return a $35 outer axle seal.
    This post has been rated MA LSV, and is intended for mature audiences. Reader discretion is advised. :fighting0037:
    ghst-_-R3CON83 ----------BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2----------------------

(This site won't let me add a real stat generator to my signature)

Sounds like a bad shock to me. A gas shock will be real hard to compress and will extend out to max length on its own. The only other fluid in the truck should be tranny fluid, have you checked the transmission?

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

x2 on checking the tranny fluid. When I towed to much weight with my 98 sonoma the trans would heat up pretty good and spray fluid out of tube on the trans. I just refilled it and it was fine for the last year of my lease.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blog Entries

It was the shock. I unbolted both rear shocks to compare and found out both are shot. Nice, simple fix.

Awesome! I dont think that you could have asked for a easier fix