GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spare Tire Carrier...

First...shame on me, bought a used truck without a jack or tire carrier crank handle, now that I am passed that: Anyone have an "easy" solution for lowering the spare tire from the carrier until I can get my hands on a tire carrier crank handle? I need to lower the spare down in order to install a fifth wheel hitch on my 2005 Silverado 2500HD...I am also going to see if the local dealers might have one, but I am sure they will be very proud of those handles.
    SCPO Bob
    2005 Chevy Silverado|6.6L LLY|CTS-Edge|Banks Intake & Cat-Back Exhaust

I suggest going to a junk yard to get one. In the mean time a big flat head screwdriver might fit in the slot well. Then turn it with an adjustable wrench. maybe a large prybar with a flat end? I wonder if the one for the 1500 is the same as the 2500.
    Last edited by Pikey; 10-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

So after an afternoon of calling Dealerships and junkyards, I found a Dealer that said they had the "right" parts...after getting them home I found that the stuff I bought didn't work as the winch did not accept the flat-blade of the handle (nor was it even long enough). So after looking everything over I determined that the plastic tubing covering the winch mechanism had to go...so after I ripped that off (no damage) I found that the interfacing part of the winch was a 1/2in square head. So I grabbed my self a long extension, my speed wrench, and a 1/2in socket....bada bing 5min later my spare was on the ground free and clear of the truck.

Glad to hear that you got it off. My 02 had a flat thing in there. I don't know what my 05 has.