GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Nice to meet you.

Hello Gents and Ladies,

It started as a boy in the early 60's and dad's '51 GMC carry-all. So many great hunting/camping trip memories. Well, carrying on that tradition with my son, I bought a '97 GMC 1500 4x4 to do the same with him.
    I have recently run across an '95 2500 4x4 with low miles for a great price and am thinking of buying it. Now, I have had a wild hair about a diesel Suburban for awhile and finding a stock one is few and far between here in California.
    My question is this.. How difficult would it be to convert and gas powered 'Burb into a diesel? I know it would require changing the engine and such, but would the fuel tank and delivery system have to be swapped out too?
    Please let me know if anyone has done this conversion, or if it would be to costly.

Thanks. Brian.

Wow! The conversion would be way more expensive than any savings on the price of the gas burb. You should google "diesel burb craigslist" There is a nice 95 diesel for $7500 in Carson City. So lets say you could get a decent gas burb for under $4000 like this 95 gasser on craigslist. There is no way you can do the conversion for the $3500 difference. You could pick up this used engine (including harness, and fuel tank for the conversion) for $2400. That leaves you with $1100 for misc. parts and labor. Do the math, not a very good bargain. Buy the diesel straight up and save yourself the headaches.

btw...... hope you like what you find here.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

to the site. post a picture of your '97
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

Legend

Welcome and I have to say switching to the diesel wouldn't be very cost effective. It can be done of course but the cost would be so high you'd really have to want it.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Welcome to the site

SuperCharged 2006 Silverado SS 2WD

For My Mod List go to my Profile then to MY GARAGE :great:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=6

Howdy,

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't think it would be cheap to convert one to diesel, but the closest craigslist one i've found so far, is above Sacramento.
    I am in the east SF Bay area and there are none around here. I do have a line on a super clean, low miles '95 2500 4x4 for $3,500. I was just thinking about diesel due to the greater variety of alternate fuels that can be used.

Will the '95 run the ethanol corn gas okay?

I have photobucket and can usually drop an image into a post. How can I do that here?

Thanks, Brian.

to add a picture to your post scroll down in the reply screen to the additional options box. then click the manage attachments box and its self explanitory from there. hope that helps