GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Moisture accumulating in parking lamp

On my truck the passenger side parking lamp is somehow getting moisture in there. I've had the truck for a long time and never had a problem with this before. I tried taking it off and submerging it in water to find the leak, but didn't find anything. After that, I added a layer of RTV silicone to the rubber gaskets that seal the bulb connector with the reflector housing and it still gets wet in there.

Any suggestions?

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band

You pretty much did what I would do. Check all the seals. It might not leak under the water do to the pressure. All it has to be is a needle size hole for the moister to get in not necessarily a leak. If you plan on keeping the truck for years to come, It is a must fix otherwise a lot of components will rust (bigger problems). At this point I would take off again and reseal ALL the seals or buy a used one. Since everyone are buying LED’s you might be able to find cheap.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

I think a set of new lenses runs around $50. They are $44 here: http://monsterautoparts.com/CHEVROLE...ark_lights.htm

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm having the exact same issue on my truck but it's the driver's side parking lamp that has been collecting moisture. It has been collecting moisture almost since I got the truck (new in 2001) but it hasn't given me any problems apart from looking like crap. I'll look into it at some point.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

You can drill a small hole on the bottom of the housing and it will evaporate and not come back. Cheap fix and works every time!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)