GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Looking for opinions on the different gear ratios

My 2005 1500 has 4.10 gears. Just curious as to what everyone else has and how it affects towing power, shifting with or without a load/trailer, and gas mileage.
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Are you running stock tires?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

surprised you have those gears. most 1500 4X4 V8 silverado have the 373 easton locker rear dif.

I tow a 20 ft boat . 4,ooolbs no problem. MPG is about 19 with 70 MPH driving.

Yes, tires are stock. Everything else is also stock as far as I know. I've only filled up once since I bought it and got 14.5 mpg. I just emptied my second tank but have yet to re-fill.

Anyways, I was just asking out of curiosity. I recently got my VIN decoded and emailed to me by a customer service rep from GM and saw the 4.10 gears and started browsing to see what everyone's opinions on them were. Seemed about 75% of people say they get noticeably worse gas mileage without a load and don't see and improvement in towing. Other 25% claim the mileage difference is about 1/2 mpg less without a load but that the 4.10 gears are much better for towing especially in terms of shifting. Kind of curious what member's here think. It's not a concern of mine as it's not my daily driver and I'll either be using it to pull my boat or for farm use in which the mileage/cost will be a write off.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I have it up, I'll paste in my VIN translation GM gave me...

59U - SILVER BIRCH METALLIC 69D - DARK CHARCOAL

69I - DK PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM 6YH - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL
    7YH - COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL A31 - POWER WINDOWS
    A95 - 6-WAY POWER DRIVER BUCKET SEAT AG1 - SIX-WAY POWER DRIVER SEAT
    AJ1 - DEEP TINTED GLASS AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT FRT PASS
    AM7 - FOLDING REAR SEAT AU0 - KEYLESS REMOTE DOOR LOCK
    AU3 - POWER DOOR LOCK SYSTEM B30 - CARPETING, COLOR-KEYED
    B32 - FRONT COLOR-KEYED FLOOR MATS B33 - REAR COLOR KEYED FLOOR MATS
    B71 - WHEEL FLARES B85 - BRIGHT BODY SIDE MOLDINGS
    C49 - ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER C7H - GVW RATING - 6,400 LB
    CJ3 - AIR COND., DUAL ZONE MANUAL D07 - CUSTOM FRONT FLOOR CONSOLE
    DF5 - ISRV MIRROR W/COMPASS & TEMP DK7 - INTERIOR CUSTOM ROOF CONSOLE W/ MAP LIGHTS
    DL8 - DUAL PWR HEATED OSRV MIRRORS DT4 - ASHTRAY MUFFIN
    E63 - FLEETSIDE BODY EVA - EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT
    FE9 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS FK2 - TORSION BAR SPRING ADJUSTMENT
    FK3 - TORSION BAR SPRING ADJUSTMENT FWI - FORT WAYNE PLANT
    G80 - LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL GT5 - REAR AXLE - 4.10 RATIO
    JF7 - BRAKES, 17" DISC/DRUM K34 - CRUISE CONTROL
    K47 - HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER KG3 - 145 AMP ALTERNATOR
    KNP - HD AUX TRANS. COOLING SYS KUP - THROTTLE CONTROL ELECTRONIC
    L59 - VORTEC 5300 V8 FLEX FUEL ENGINE M30 - 4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL NP8 - AUTOTRAC ACTIVE TRANSFER CASE
    NT9 - EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL TIER 2 PHASE OUT NZZ - OFF ROAD - SKID PLATES
    P25 - 17" ALUMINUM WHEELS PDU - LIGHT DUTY POWER PACKAGE: * VORTEC 5300 V8 FLEX FUEL ENG. * HD TRAILERING EQUIPMENT
    QJM - P265/70R17 OOR WOL TIRES R5C - TIRE BRAND ALL BRIDGESTONE
    R6Q - PACKAGE DISCOUNT NOT DESIRED R9U - GM ACCESS - AUTOBOOK IDENTIFIER
    SLM - STOCK ORDERS T96 - FRONT FOG LAMPS
    TR3 - CHROME GRILLE UB1 - BASE AM/FM STEREO W/CD, CASSETTE WITH BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM ADDED (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO)
    UQ7 - BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA
    VB3 - CHROME REAR BUMPER VG3 - CHROME FRONT BUMPER
    VR4 - WEIGHT DISTRIB. PLATFORM HITCH VXS - COMPLETE VEHICLE LABEL
    X88 - CHEVROLET CONVERSION XJM - TIRE FRONT P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL OOR
    YD3 - BASE EQUIP FOR SCH GVW PL-FT AX YD6 - BASE REAR SPRING
    YE9 - SILVERADO YJM - P265/70R17-113S WOL R/PE ST TL OOR
    Z71 - OFF-ROAD SUSPENSION Z82 - HD TRAILERING EQUIPMENT
    ZJP - SPARE TIRE P265/70R17 ZY1 - SOLID PAINT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    surprised you have those gears. most 1500 4X4 V8 silverado have the 373 easton locker rear dif.

I tow a 20 ft boat . 4,ooolbs no problem. MPG is about 19 with 70 MPH driving.
    Maybe it's because it is listed twice as having HD trailering equipment....not sure what all that includes. The only other specific thing I see listed which is for towing is the transmission cooler.

If your towing 4.10 are the way to go. The smaller the gear ratio usually the better the gas mileage, but less towing ability. My Tahoe has 3.42s and gets great gas mileage hwy and ok city, but when towing it sometimes feels sluggish.
    Btw side note how'd you get your vin decoded by GM?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    If your towing 4.10 are the way to go. The smaller the gear ratio usually the better the gas mileage, but less towing ability. My Tahoe has 3.42s and gets great gas mileage hwy and ok city, but when towing it sometimes feels sluggish.
    Btw side note how'd you get your vin decoded by GM?
    I can't remember exactly but I think I went to my "My Chevrolet" page and just clicked somewhere on the home page that said chat now, asked the rep if they could decode my VIN, gave it to them and they returned it all in the chat window. I just copied it from that into textpad (Microsoft word didn't like the format). I imagine you could go to Chevrolet or gm.com and chat with a rep that way as well and get it. Just copy it over before you say there is nothing else they can help you with because the chat window auto closes then and you don't get a copy emailed to you or anything. I had to do it a second time due to this.

As others have said shorter gears (i.e. bigger number for ratio) are better for towing while longer gears (lower number for ratio) are better for MPG.

My gasser came with 3.73's. I've upsized to 4.56's to handle my tire and towing needs. On the summer mix with the AC in use I get about 13.5-13.8 MPG (combined) unloaded, but consider that I'm lifted, running big aggressive-tread tires, have a good bit of weight in the truck box and in sound deadening, and have also tweaked and tuned to recover MPG lost to mods. (On the winter mix with no AC I do about 1 combined MPG better. It can be as much as 1.5MPG better if most of my driving is highway...)

Yesterday I pulled an empty 7000lb GVWR tandem brake axle landscaping type trailer 170 miles. Unloaded she weighs 1540lbs. On the flat land in eastern NC I got a steady 12.2 MPG with it. As I got to the piedmont region, which has more hills, MPG dropped to an overall average of 11.7. After I came through traffic and then got back out to the country (still with hills) the MPG fell more ... to 11.5 ... largely due to speed up/slow down activity in traffic. This was all with tow haul mode engaged. I avergaed 42 miles per hour across that 170 miles ... with some highway speeds being mid 70's just to keep up with traffic.

I can tell you that when I went from 3.73's to 4.56's I actually gained about 0.5 MPG when unloaded. Reason: My big tires need more torque to get and keep them moving -- they're effectively load I always carry around that you don't have on your truck. The 4.56's in conjunction with 34.3" tires put my truck within 29 RPM's of what I had when running OEM 3.73's with OEM tires. (That's at 65mph and overdrive off.) Returning to stock-like performance put me back in the sweet spot to balance performance and MPG, with a slight bias toward power. This manifests in the real world as not downshifting on inclines where prior to the shorter gears I'd downshift once. Similarly on inclines where I'd downshift twice with the 3.73's I now only downshift once.

My in-town gas mileage improved because I'm not mashing the gas to get off the line for nearly as long or as hard; the big tires get moving easier, now. My highway mileage improved because I don't fall out of overdrive on inclines as much. Granted, it was a sleight improvement ... but it's one that pays for itself as time goes on and gas prices rise. You'll experience this same sort of thing when you're carrying load -- in that loaded trucks with taller gears will have to downshift on inclines or will fall out of overdrive when you don't.

Also worth noting is that I lose some top-end legs ANd my MPG falls off rapidly for speeds above 65MPG. I'll drop 1 MPG for running 75 instead of 65, for example. This means I tend to run the speed limits if they are 65 or 70. 60 seems to be a sweet spot for me, MPG-wise when on the highway. That's where trucks with taller gears have us both -- their fuel econ is better than ours, unloaded, on the highways and at higher speeds. But loaded and in hilly areas we should do better than they will.

Consider yourself lucky to have 4.10's on an OEM truck. You don't see that often and, if you tow, it's where you want to be. Yes, your MPG could be better when unloaded, but you're getting about what I'd expect, as my tweaks and tuning have me very close to stock MPG ratings on my truck and you're right there, too, from the sound of it. As for towing or loaded travel, you won't feel as sluggish as those running 3.42's will.

When I re-geared I had to wrestle with the decision between 4.10's and 4.56's and chose the latter for the power bias -- specifically for those times when I was running my large ties AND towing. That's not everyday, but the times I do it I'm thankful for the added torque as I can always buy more gas when I need it but it's tough to buy more torque when I need it.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 10-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Man, I really appreciate taking the time to post that response SurrealOne. It was very informative.

That makes me feel good about having 4.10's. My current farm needs don't require heavy towing as I just have goats and may try feeder calves this year (both of which I just use a small stock trailer). But my parents have 30 unused acres I may try to raise cattle on which will result in the need for a larger trailer and heavier loads.

Happy to be of service.

Quote Originally Posted by wmkess View Post
    I can't remember exactly but I think I went to my "My Chevrolet" page and just clicked somewhere on the home page that said chat now, asked the rep if they could decode my VIN, gave it to them and they returned it all in the chat window. I just copied it from that into textpad (Microsoft word didn't like the format). I imagine you could go to Chevrolet or gm.com and chat with a rep that way as well and get it. Just copy it over before you say there is nothing else they can help you with because the chat window auto closes then and you don't get a copy emailed to you or anything. I had to do it a second time due to this.
    They don't keep information for trucks as old as mine on the main data base. they only told me the basics.

1GNEK13R4TJ327264
    1: U.S. Built.
    G: General Motors
    N: Chev MPV
    E: GVWR Range: 6001-7000 pounds. Brake System: HYD
    K: Conventional Cab GMT 400 4x4
    1: 1/2 Ton Series
    3: Four-door cab/utility
    R: Engine Option L31. 5.7L V8, Produced in U.S.
    4: Check Digit
    T: 1996 Model Year
    327264: Production Sequence Number

All of this I already knew between my truck repair manual and LMC.