GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Installed my 2-way radio today...

This has been in a box for a while and I wasn't going to install warning lights and radios in this truck... but I just can't help myself...

So after looking all over the inside of the truck for a place to install my radio, I reluctantly used the space where a factory CD player would have been installed. My truck had the delete pocket there which is great for cramming full of small things. I hated to lose the pocket, but I will learn to live without it. I mounted the radio's face plate (control head) in the opening for the pocket. (So the pocket is actually empty except for a CAT5 cable running from the back to the face plate... I might modify the mount and hinge it later so I can flip the radio face up and still use the pocket... It will be a cool stealthy place to put stuff...

Here is the control head install on the dash (The actual radio (RF Deck) is mounted under the passenger's seat.) The "extra" red wire laying behind the seat is a "for later use" wire that I ran to run to my strobe light power supply box that will get mounted under that same seat in the next couple of weeks. It is unpowered at the moment so it won't spark if it happens to contact a ground. The 2 "knobs" to the left of the radio on the dash are actually "push-pull" switches that will be used for my warning lights. One is for the hidden strobes in the headlights and tail lights and the other one is for the grille and deck reds that will be installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-03_14-39-16_815.jpg   2012-10-03_14-39-56_14.jpg   2012-10-03_14-40-33_33.jpg   2012-10-03_14-40-41_750.jpg  
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

That looks sharp. I really like the hinged faceplate idea so that you don't lose your storage, too, and hope you do it ... as that'll mean you don't have to get used to loss of that space.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    That looks sharp. I really like the hinged faceplate idea so that you don't lose your storage, too, and hope you do it ... as that'll mean you don't have to get used to loss of that space.
    Yeah... it will make a nice inconspicuous hidey hole too!

I won't ask what you plan to hide in there. But if the local K-9 unit hops in your ride and sits down, you'll be in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I won't ask what you plan to hide in there. But if the local K-9 unit hops in your ride and sits down, you'll be in trouble!
    I'm a firefighter... I don't worry about cops. LOL!

Legend

Blog Entries

You can't ask for a much better fit than that, especially if you are going to put a hinge on it. I agree that you should do it as well.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I think I will do that in the next few weeks. I need to get my warning lights installed first. that will give me time to figure out how to fab it up... Right now, it's on L brackets screwed into the top of the pocket. I will absolutely have to work on this one... I loves me some delete pocket!