GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Head Unit Suggestions

I am researching new double din Nav radio's. I would like to replace my stock head unit at the same time I do my other upgrades to the sound system. My wife has a Kenwood DNX6990 (I think that is the one she has) so I am some what familar with that radio. What I am interested in is other makes and models. What you like/dislike about them. Yes I know this is a subjective question but who would know better about specific model flaws better than someone who owens one? The options I would like to keep are my steering wheel controls, bluetooth, USB, and XM. Other than what came from the factory I would also like Nav (preferably Garmin) and a DVD player. That would be for the CFO while on trips. I figure I throw a Harry Potter DVD in and she won't complain about my driving. Although the dogs get sick when she is driving not while I am. But anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

For ease of use and Great Nav and sound Sq Kenwood is the way to go...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    For ease of use and Great Nav and sound Sq Kenwood is the way to go...
    This times two.

Note:
    Kenwood's units use Garmin for nav and I believe they're the only ones who do. (Pioneer doesn't, I know this for sure.) I've tried a number of portable nav devices (TomTom, Magellan, Garmin) through the years and found that I personally prefer Garmin units.

As for options -- steering wheel controls are provided by an aftermarket module (unaffiliated with the head unit manufacturer) to whatever unit you choose ... as long as it can support steering wheel controls. Most double-DIN units can. XM is also typically a module that plugs into the unit -- and you need to buy it separately.

So basically the head unit really comes down to DVD, Nav, BT and USB ports for things like iPhones. Nav ends up being the real differentiator in most cases because most of today's Nav-capable units have DVD, BT, and USB support.

I have always liked Kenwood, they stand behind their products and don't fudge the specs like allot of other manufacturers do. I would recommend for the best experience to go with the Excelon series (Like Sony ES, no longer made), Pioneer Elite (No longer made for car audio).

The Excelon Series is Kenwoods top stuff.

I will also suggest Kenwood.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I ended up going with pioneer but that was only for the fact I could use
    My
    iPhone and the app modes with it. But if I had to do it over again it would be kenwood. I had kenwood in my old 93 k1500 blazer and loved it and would recommend it to anyone

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up getting a DNX6990. One of the main reasons for me picking that one over other was that we already have one in another car. So I don't have to learn new controls. The price was easier on the wallet than say a 9990 would have been.