GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation change oil light

i have a message center in my truck that reads change engine oil which i did but cant figure out how to get this notification off. i do not have my manuel so i was wondering if u guys could tell me how to do this? thanks
    99 chevy 1500 silverado 4.8 vortec True 2.5' dual exhaust with 3' Silver vein tips and vx muffler, 2005 tail light swap, mb tko 16" matte black rims Upcoming mods:HID headlights, 2" leveling kit

Turn the key to the run position but do not start the engine. Slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor and release 3 times. Your message center will indicate the oil life monitor has been reset.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Turn the key to the run position but do not start the engine. Slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor and release 3 times. Your message center will indicate the oil life monitor has been reset.
    x2 on what @moogvo said. But, I think that it has to pressed 3 times within 5 seconds.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    x2 on what @moogvo said. But, I think that it has to pressed 3 times within 5 seconds.
    You're right, it is 3 times within 5 seconds.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Yes, that is the case. I didn't think about that... I am just used to doing it now. LOL!

ok ill try it. so does it take time for it to turn off or it just does automatically?

if you have buttons on the steering wheel i believe it can be reset this way aswell, as my change oil light is on aswell im gonna run out n see if i can get it to go out.

Legend

ignition on throttle pedal to the floor 3X in 5 sec. then the light will flash and its reset.

10 sec. total time.

thankks guys it worked

Blog Entries

Not sure if it does it to anybody elses truck, but mine will tell me that the oil life has been reset upon start up for several start ups, post reset. It has done it since about the 5th oil change I've done. Not a big deal because it does eventually go away.

Also, don't rely on that "Change Engine Oil" to change the oil. 3-5,000 miles is recommended. I let my truck go all the way to the next time that prompt came up once, and it was about 8,000 miles after I changed it the last time.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."