GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Ditched the XM magnetic antenna for the Shark Fin Today

I got around to changing out the ugly magnetic XM antenna for the OEM XM antenna today on my 2008 GMC Sierra.

Rather than trying to extend the OEM antenna wire, I relocated my Pioneer XM brain to behind the top glove box. There is not much room - I put the brain in the slot behind the top glove box, which looks like is a space above the fan motor perhaps.

You will need:

1. Torx head screw driver
    2. Wire snips or something that you can trim the plastic around the OEM antenna connection.

You will want to remove the top glove box. Open tnhe glove box and there are 2 torx screws - one on each sides at the top. You can then pull the entire glove box out - the bottom is help by 3 panel clips - these will pop out by pulling firmly on the glove box.

If your not going to be moving your XM brain you can skip this part.

Next I opened the lower glove box - there is a tab on the top that prevents the glove box from opening all the way to where it dumps everything on the floor! Push up on that tab and the glove box will open forward - if you dont clean out the glove box everything will be on the floor at this point!

You will see the OEM XM brain:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-24_17-22-35_913.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	28251

The brown plug is the antenna - you may have to trim the plastic to get it to fit your XM brain.

Name:	2011-06-25_18-04-42_831.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	28252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-25_18-00-49_324.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	28253

It looked almost as if OEM connector would have plugged right into the Pioneer XM brain bu t it seems like the shop that installed it trimmed the plastic on the Pioneer unit to accommodate the stupid connector for the magnetic roof antenna! Wait til I talk to those guys next time I see them!

Name:	2011-06-25_18-01-07_471.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	28250

Here is a shot where I put the brain. You can get some more length on the OEM antenna wire by clipping the wire tie that holds it down to the plastic mount the OEM brain sits in.

Name:	2011-06-25_18-41-08_198.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	28254

Hope this helps if anyone is thinking of doing this.
    Last edited by sstoner911; 06-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

very nice mod

sstoner can you clear a few things for me? Do you have an after market head unit installed? Is the factory xm unit compatible with any of the after market units? I would like to install a new indash nav radio but want to keep my xm. any help or advice would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    sstoner can you clear a few things for me? Do you have an after market head unit installed? Is the factory xm unit compatible with any of the after market units? I would like to install a new indash nav radio but want to keep my xm. any help or advice would be great.
    The factory XM unit will not work with an aftermarket head unit due to the configuration of the wire harness that connects to it. Someone would need to develop an adapter much like you would use to connect your aftermarket head unit to the factory radio harness.

Name:	2011-06-26_12-28-29_615.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	28258

I have a Pioneer head unit along with the Pioneer XM brain.

Name:	2011-06-25_18-01-26_774.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	28259

If anyone needs the factory XM for their factory XM ready head unit I have one now!

Awesome tutorial!!!
    I was doing the same exact install and got to the part of having to have an extension due to the factory length..
    And just by pulling the wires from the position they were on the factory XM box I was able to connect and have just enough length.

sstone

Where did you get the shark fin from?

Great instructions, thanks

tia