GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99-02 Silverado Flasher Module replacement

I want to upgrade all my flashing lights (turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, and daytime running lamps) to LED's. I did not want to deal with the headache of putting load resistors in line for each light so I picked up a replacement Flasher Module.

• GM#: 12450072 (original flasher module)
    • Aftermarket: EP29L (LED compatible flasher module)

Box and un boxing:

Pins:

Comparing the GM to the Aftermarket module:

Locating the flasher module:

The socket for the flasher module is a tight fit and the LED compatible module has little spikes on the sides of the spades that go into the socket; such that the new module does not sit all the way in the socket. Even with the new module not plugged in that extra 2mm, it is in the socket tight and will not move.

I have yet to order my LED bulbs for my turn signals, brake lights and reverse lamps. Once I do and install them I will update this to verify that I do not have any "hyperflash" with the switchback LED's.

Hey bro hows it going? I have a couple of questions about the Flasher module. What is the difference between both of them? What does the LED Flasher module do that the Original flasher module can't do?
    OMAR
    Houston, TX
    -1999 Chevy Silverado.

With the LED-compat flasher module you don't need to install load resistors when you upgrade signal bulbs to from incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs. (It can handle both bulb types without hyperflashing the LEDs and burning them out.)

For my truck the required load resistors and the flasher module worked out to about the same price when shipping was factored into the equation on the load resistors -- but it was a 5 minute installation and much, much cleaner to replace the flasher module.

On Nak's truck it might well have saved him money to order the flasher module AND it's a faster, cleaner install -- as that flasher module is cheaper than what my truck uses.

Quote Originally Posted by omar104 View Post
    Hey bro hows it going? I have a couple of questions about the Flasher module. What is the difference between both of them? What does the LED Flasher module do that the Original flasher module can't do?

Hi Omar,

Surreal is right, Inside the flasher module they are almost exactly the same, but the resistances are slightly different for the LED compatible version where you do not need to put the load resistors on each line to avoid the hyperflash problem with LED's in turn signals, brake lights, etc.

The one for our trucks (looks like you have a 99) is about $16-$18 + Shipping. The ones for newer trucks like Surreals run between $32-$52 depending on whom you buy it from. The load resisters run about $5 each and I think you need either 6 or 12 (one for each light) of those if you choose not to use a new flasher module.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Hi Omar,

Surreal is right, Inside the flasher module they are almost exactly the same, but the resistances are slightly different for the LED compatible version where you do not need to put the load resistors on each line to avoid the hyperflash problem with LED's in turn signals, brake lights, etc.

The one for our trucks (looks like you have a 99) is about $16-$18 + Shipping. The ones for newer trucks like Surreals run between $32-$52 depending on whom you buy it from. The load resisters run about $5 each and I think you need either 6 or 12 (one for each light) of those if you choose not to use a new flasher module.

Oh I see, so in this case it be better if I buy the module if I want to make all the lights LED. (taillights, turn signals, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by omar104 View Post
    Oh I see, so in this case it be better if I buy the module if I want to make all the lights LED. (taillights, turn signals, etc)?
    Yes, it is the "easy, and clean way". Since I have the led compatible flasher module, I do not have to splice into each line for each light and install the load resistors.

Cool, thanks man. That really is going to help me out! I really appreciate your time!