GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Replaced Crank Sensor now truck won start.

Hey yall Im new here so I guess Ill just jump in.
    I have had problems with this truck since Nov. 2001 Silverado 1500 5.3 I have owned this truck since it was new. It has 212000 miles and had been a real good truck. I started haveing trouble on the way home from NC to Fl Truck just started to die. Slow down, run 600 rpm then just stop. Restart and mess around then finally it would go. I got home the OBD said o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 so I replaced it. Then one by one they all went out with in a month. Still shuttin down have to pull over and restart. I checked all the fuses and all the stuff I thought caused it. Fuel filter, fuel pump, coils, wires. etc Well after all the o2 sensors still not helping it said cat's were bad. Bought a y pipe complete. Changed the muffler. And while I was at it, trans mount, all u joints and mid bearing. Didnt help. I got a code a couple days ago along with the multiple cylinder misfire, map sensor and crank sensor. I cleaned the map sensor, and changed the crank sensor. The truck started right up reved good so I let it idle. After about 2 or 3 mins it died and hasnt started since. I have unhooked the battery, done the relearn 3 times. With the turn the key on for 11 mins off for 30 sec three times but it wont start. I think its a fuel problem because it will run if I spray starting fluid down its throat but it just wont run on its own. I found the old crank sensor cracked at the bottom so maybe it did need that. It has fuel pressure at the valve on the fuel rail but not much.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have been told to take it to Chevy and let them reprogram the computer. But I aint doin that. If I cant fix it, it will just sit and Ill get something else.

When you say it has fuel pressure but not much did you put a gauge on it? If so what kind of pressure are you getting?

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I didnt put a gauge on it. There was not enough pressure to measure. Im old and have done a young thing. Im afraid it is the fuel pump I was going to leave in the morning to go home to NC and was in a hurry. Instead of just trouble shooting I was just shooting. I have checked everything fuse's, relays, fuel filter, wiring and everything but the fuel pump. I have been haveing problems since Nov last year and replaced all the o2 sensors, y pipe etc etc. Still had a problem. I filled the truck up picked up a crank sensor. Went home installed the sensor and the truck fired right away and ran as good as it ever has for 3 min then died. It never started again untill I used starting fluid and it would continue to run as long as I sprayed it into the intake. I thought it might have been the Passkey II system kicking in. It has before but the re-learn didnt work. I took the cover off the switch and cut the yellow wire and put in a 1.4 ohm resistor which what I read when I checked it. No help. Put it all back. The only thing left is the fuel pump. I will put a hot wire to it and see if it pumps pressure if not then its time to replace it. It just seemed odd to me that it would just stop at the same time I replaced the crank sensor but so far thats how it looks. Pump $300. If you see anything I might have missed that would rule out the pump I would really appreciate it. But otherwise I guess it will sit out this trip and Ill fix it when I get back.
    Thanks for the answer back.

I was thinking it might be the pump. Let us know when you get it fixed.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Ok Im gonna check the voltage to the pump. Thats first. It is pumping but very little. I dont know if there is something on the Passkey system that would let low voltage cause the pump to not pump its max. Also maybe it pumps to a low pressure and stops before getting to the max. A hot wire to the pump will decide this. Ill let yall know. I just filled the truck up 7 miles before this problem so I have a lot of gas to drain unless I unbolt the bed and raise it. Dont know yet going to NC and will work on it when I get back.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69duke View Post
    Ok Im gonna check the voltage to the pump. Thats first. It is pumping but very little. I dont know if there is something on the Passkey system that would let low voltage cause the pump to not pump its max. Also maybe it pumps to a low pressure and stops before getting to the max. A hot wire to the pump will decide this. Ill let yall know. I just filled the truck up 7 miles before this problem so I have a lot of gas to drain unless I unbolt the bed and raise it. Dont know yet going to NC and will work on it when I get back.
    Thanks
    Ok more and more problems Went to check the fuel pump this morning and just for the heck of it I put the ohm meter on the yellow data wire from the passkey theft system. I turned the key and the truck tried to start. I tried it again and it started but died. After about 20 mins I got it to start and run and take fuel. I drove it around and it ran fine. I went on the highway and drove about 60 miles at all speeds. after about an hour or so on the way back home I got both upstream o2 sensors low volts. I keep the OBDII hooked up so I can watch and see what happens. The truck still ran ok and the check engine light didnt come on I just check it now and then while its running. Well all of a sudden at 75 it down shifted and the rpm went up to about 5500 it shifted and went down then it just started shifting down and up and I could feather it and keep it moving. I got off on my exit and it died at the stop light. I started it and it wouldnt get over 4 or 500 rpm I put it in drive and coaxed it off the road the check engine light came on and it said shift solonoid b ckt stuck or perf. After about 30 min of messin around I finally got it moveing and floored it and it cleared up and now its running fine. While it was starting and stopping I could hear bad noises from the trans and smell like burning clutches. I aint takin it to NC But at least I didnt take to Chevy for a new Fuel pump which is what the guy said when I called him. Also I got a crankshaft sensor ackt and I just changed it 3 days ago when all this started. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks