GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Newbie 05 Burb

Default Newbie 05 Burb

Hey,

New to the forum. I just bought an 05 z71 suburban 40K miles. Great ride really enjoy it so far. I need/want to get a few things for it.

The 3rd seats tubmles forward and I would like to have a cargo liner with the latch holes cut out for the 3rd seat, that can just stay in place with the 3rd in use or tumbled out of the way. It would be nice to have a liner that covers the entire cargo area and foot area on the 3rd seat. On long trips or if I am hauling stuff around the seat will be tumbled forward but as soon as the kids and their buddies want me to take them somewhere the seat needs to come back into use. I have already notice this will be a regular routine for us. Anyone seen anything like this?

Also wanted to know if anyone had done headrest dvds. They look cool and I wanted to see if there was anything I should watch out for.

Lastley I wanted to ask about the stock pads and rotors on this truck. According to the carfax report the front pads and rotors were replaced at 25K and rear needs to be done now. I have read a little about performance pads and slotted rotors but I have no clue which way to here if it make that much of an improvement over the OEM gear.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing the repsonses.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aheitkemper View Post
    Hey,

New to the forum. I just bought an 05 z71 suburban 40K miles. Great ride really enjoy it so far. I need/want to get a few things for it.

The 3rd seats tubmles forward and I would like to have a cargo liner with the latch holes cut out for the 3rd seat, that can just stay in place with the 3rd in use or tumbled out of the way. It would be nice to have a liner that covers the entire cargo area and foot area on the 3rd seat. On long trips or if I am hauling stuff around the seat will be tumbled forward but as soon as the kids and their buddies want me to take them somewhere the seat needs to come back into use. I have already notice this will be a regular routine for us. Anyone seen anything like this?

Also wanted to know if anyone had done headrest dvds. They look cool and I wanted to see if there was anything I should watch out for.

Lastley I wanted to ask about the stock pads and rotors on this truck. According to the carfax report the front pads and rotors were replaced at 25K and rear needs to be done now. I have read a little about performance pads and slotted rotors but I have no clue which way to here if it make that much of an improvement over the OEM gear.

Alex
    Hey Alex,

First, to the site.

Sounds like you've got a good truck on your hands. There are a lot of manufacturers that make cargo units and what not for the burban, so you should be able to find something pretty close to what you want/need.

Some people here have gone with a headrest for their video/dvd system, and they like it becuase it's portable and can be removed and taken to another vehicle...also gives you multiple screen options sometimes as well. I reviewed the Yukon XL Denail that cames with the media system and that had one center video screen that seemed to be pretty comfortable for the 2nd and 3rd rows to see as well. It's always an option to have it roof mounted, but that's a bigger project.

Not sure about the brakes/rotors. I've never gone with the high performance ones, but I hear that they can offer better performance, expecially if you're going to be loaded up or tow anything.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Former Member

Hey,

Alex
    Welcome to the site! I dont know about the other stuff but if its aftermarket I can help. Go to http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/re...monitors.shtml and pick out what you want. They make factory replacement headrest monitors that are vehicle specific. No hassle no fuss on your part.

Hey,

Alex
    Hello and
    I am also a Newb and ran accross your thread. I saw you mention that carfax said the rotors/pads were replaced at 25K? Does carfax even show stuff like that? I mean I was under the impression (even though I havent used carfax within the past 5 years) only accidents and body work showed up. Thats pretty cool if that shows up.
    99 Suburban 5.7 Gas 4WD

98 Firebird Formie 5.7 LS1 - Toy
    Best ET/MPH: 12.17 @ 116
    Dyno 431rwhp 525 rwtq

76 DJ5-D Postal Jeep - Work/Toy

to the site. I think there might be something about the headrest DVD players in the Audio, Video and Electronics section. Have you went to a dealership to see if they have something for the 3rd row, because most of the time if they have something you can buy it aftermarket.
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

First welcome aboard.

Aftermarket brakes are more expensive to buy first then they can not be turned like originals. I believe. So when they wear you will have to replace.

One of the guys on here came across this place for aftermarket parts.

http://www.lmctruck.com/index.htm

They have cargo mats for just about everything. They ain’t cheap though.

The DVD screens for head rests I was unable to find in a quick search though.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Welcome to the site
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    First welcome aboard.

Aftermarket brakes are more expensive to buy first then they can not be turned like originals. I believe. So when they wear you will have to replace.

One of the guys on here came across this place for aftermarket parts.

http://www.lmctruck.com/index.htm

They have cargo mats for just about everything. They ainít cheap though.

The DVD screens for head rests I was unable to find in a quick search though.
    The prices at LMC might seem high but with alot of things they are cheaper, I have used them a bunch of times.
    Matt
    1987 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7TBI

Yes the previous owner had all the service at the dealership. I was a one owner vechicle it had a full history.

Alex