GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1995 c3500 Door Issue; Latch or Linkage?

Purchased a 1995 c3500 dualy pickup w/115,000 miles, a couple of months ago. We pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer with it and it does that with ease. The passenger outside door handle stopped working although the inside handle will open the door. I bought a new handle and went to a truck salvage yard to buy another tailgate (I crunched the tailgate that came with the truck... too painful to tell you how I did that) and while at the salvage yard, I asked to see the inside of the door of a similar chevy truck so I could figure out how to replace the door handle. That was very helpful and I was ready to replace the handle myself. Took the truck to the body shop to have the replacement tailgate painted and they offered to install the handle for free so I jumped on that. Well the tailgate looks amazing, but the problem was not the door handle, they said it was the latch or linkage so my pass door still has the problem. I have been searching online for info about replacing the latch and or linkage, but no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I thought I would ask other chevy truck owners for some "been there, done that" guidance. By the by, I had the truck bed sprayed with a "Ray-Shield" bed liner and the liner comes up over the rails of the bed. Looks amazing and should protect the bed from all the use we give it. It dropped a few years off the truck.

My husband is gone for the next 3 days, so I would like to fix the latch before he gets back, hope that is doable.

Teri

Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. While I can't help with your issue I wanted to welcome you to GM Truck Club, Teri!

Welcome to the club Teri, it's good to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Jr. Engineer

Welcome to the club. The only help that I can give you is to go to www.lmctruck.com, and you can look at a breakdown of the door components. It might help. Good luck

Hello Teri! Welcome to the site.

The linkages are held to the handle by a nylon grommet and a snap-on lock fastener. I hate them because once they break, you HAVE to go to the dealer to get a replacement. The linkage is nothing more than a metal rod about 1/4" in diameter with bends in it that fits through a hole on the door handle and then a hole on the latching mechanism. There is nothing magical about it at all. It sounds like either the nylon grommet broke or the snap clip came off and released the linkage. Pull the inner door panel and look inside at the rod that goes between the handle and the latch mechanism below it. You will see pretty quickly how it works and which end of it has come apart.

The hardest part of this fix is taking the door panel off, and that's not that difficult if you take your time!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Welcome to the club Teri. I wish you the best of luck with your repair. I know I would be impressed if I came home and my wife fixed the truck!
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Welcome to the club; hope to see you and your husband stick around.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Welcome to the G M TC !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Legend

Blog Entries

****Thread Moved to Appropriate Section*****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals