GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Getting backup camera to always be ON !

Does anyone know a way to wire up your Backup Camera to always be on when your truck is running?

simply put no I dont,

but if I had to guess, maybe it could be done similar to wiring a nav system to always think the ebrake is on so you can actually use it while driving. With my wifes I hooked it to a toggle switch and grounded it so that if say I had to show it working like it was supposed to I could flip the switch off and it would function properly (can only input address with ebrake up etc). I would think if instead of it being connected to the reverse wiring (with a nav it connects to the reverse light and gets powered that way), connect it to a powered switch and just filp it on making it think its in reverse.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

When I wired my back up camera in, the instructions said to tie the camera power wire into back up light circuit (I used the wire for this purpose that was in the trailer wire harness). Unless your camera is wired significantly differently from mine, it seems like it should be as easy as finding a different, always on source for the camera power. Again, it seems like the trailer wire harness could have an accessory wire that is always on.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    it seems like the trailer wire harness could have an accessory wire that is always on.

The "E" pin should have the 12v power.

However, this is hot all of the time, it needs a relay to switch it when the ignition is on.

The red wire may not be connected to any thing, look under the hood near the fuse box. If you find it loose, there is a post near the fuses that it will connect to.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)