GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vss issues 92 k15

Hello,

I have a 92 heavy half and recently the speedometer and cruise quit working, and the brake light came on, I went through the trouble codes and it gave me 24 which is the speed sensor one. So my questions are, on a 4x4 is the sensor on the transfer case, because I changed the one I saw there and it made no difference? So either I did the wrong one and am just missing the one on the transmission or I did it right and my vss issue is somewhere else? Also I had trouble with my lights when I got the truck where the flasher unit was fried internally, and I'm pretty sure all this happen on the same day if that means anything in terms of pinpointing the issue?

Thanks!
    Rob

when I was having issues with my speedo not working it was the vssb vehicle speed sensor buffer which is located by the ECM behind the dash. Mine looked fine but turned out it was fried. I had to get one out of the junkyard and make sure it's the same one because if it's not the speed will read wrong.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the club!! Sorry, I do not have any ideas for you but I am sure someone will respond shortly who can help.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by okysmokey911 View Post
    when I was having issues with my speedo not working it was the vssb vehicle speed sensor buffer which is located by the ECM behind the dash. Mine looked fine but turned out it was fried. I had to get one out of the junkyard and make sure it's the same one because if it's not the speed will read wrong.
    Ok well how did you narrow it down to that being the issue?

well lets see .... first I traced the wires from the speed sensor all the way to the firewall and those were fine, then I replaced to vss which was pretty expensive and that didnt fix the problem, then I replaced the instrument cluster thinking that was bad and it wasnt, so then I got mad and took the entire dash out of the truck and checked all the wires from the vssb to the instrument cluster and still couldnt find the problem so honestly that was the only thing it could be. My truck is a manual and the vssb also controls the light that tells you when you should shift up which was working so I actually didnt think it was the vssb for a while, but after getting one out of the junkyard and putting it in, the speedo worked.

Ok so can you tell me then, in a 4x4 is the sensor in the t case or the transmission?

its on the t case.... 2 wire plug

Ok so I geuss the sensor isn't my issue cause I changed that, what all do I need to do to change the buffer then?

Also, how come when I google or ebay speed sensor buffer only like 8 of them show up? Is this something ill have to get from the local junkyard?

all you need is the vssb board... should be inside a white container. I had the same problem, you cant really find one on google. I was told that dealerships could order them for you, but I am sure that it would be for a ridiculous price. I went to the local junkyard and got one out of there, but like I said earlier you have to make sure you are getting the exact same vssb because each one is unique to the truck you get it from ( tire size, gear ratios, etc) That is where the white plastic encasing the vssb is located in comes in handy... it has a code on the front of it so just use that code and go hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast