GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Engineer

Default have to erase OBD1 codes ?

guys,
    i have a 1990 k1500 4x4 with 5.7. i have been getting a check engine light for the past 4 years, and it was always a 32 code, EGR valve. this week i was getting a 42 code, ignition control unit... i have installed a new EGR valve and ignition module, and think i have it fixed.
    do i have to "erase" the codes, or are they automatically erased once the problem is fixed ?as long as the check engine light dont come on, i assume i am fine ?

thanks guys

The code should clear itself after it detects the issue's been solved for so many starts, but the quicker and easier way to clear the code is pull the battery cable for a minute.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    The code should clear itself after it detects the issue's been solved for so many starts, but the quicker and easier way to clear the code is pull the battery cable for a minute.
    thanks.... i will let it clear itself.... i hate reprogramming my radio. lol

I looked this up in the past... And I believe it is three or four starts.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.