GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: rear wheel seal

Default rear wheel seal

So over the course of the last year I have replaced the driver side rear wheel seal 3 times and its leaking again. Sometimes it makes it a few months and this last time was a few weeks and I dont drive it daily. I also replaced the bearing the last time too. I know that this means most likely something else is to blame but I dont know what. I looked at the axle and it looks straight and smooth but that doesnt mean it is. I have used a couple different aftermarket seals and maybe I will try the factory one. The worst part is with the G80 I have to access the rear diff to remove the axle which means a new diff seal and fluid too. Any one have a similar issue or possible reason. I dont hot rod the truck and it doesnt get offroad as often as I would like.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Sr. Engineer

Do you know if it is leaking at the seal and axle or the seal and housing?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Im not quite sure. Ive tried looking before and wasnt sure, but will look closer. The surface of the housing looks good. There is a small nick at the edge of the housing that had a little edge. I tried smoothing it a little bit but the seal seemed to extend past. I will check the seal when I pull it to see if it dented or creased the seal when installed. It could be my memory playing tricks but I dont think it seemed like a tight seal between the rubber and axle last time.

Ok it looks like it is leaking from the rubber seal to axle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-09_08-27-29_257.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	44504

Sr. Engineer

No shame in that. Nice picture. Is that rust and pitting that I see on the axle and is that axle part way out of your own doing? I ask because of the fairly shiny surface out past the seal lip seams to be alot of play in it if not. If that is indeed pitting and rust at the seal lip, then the seal is not your problem it is the axle surface where the seal rides.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    No shame in that. Nice picture. Is that rust and pitting that I see on the axle and is that axle part way out of your own doing? I ask because of the fairly shiny surface out past the seal lip seams to be alot of play in it if not. If that is indeed pitting and rust at the seal lip, then the seal is not your problem it is the axle surface where the seal rides.
    I thought about the rust. Will look closer for pitting. That is actually where it sits, there is a tiny amount of play in and out but I would have to measure it (I havent checked the other side to compare either). With the G80 it has basically a large copper(?) c-clip that holds it in and then the large pin that runs through the center of the gear (which is why I have to get into the diff to remove). I will also look to see if the rust sits in all the way to the seal. Is that something that may be able to cleaned and polished up if its not pitted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    I thought about the rust. Will look closer for pitting. That is actually where it sits, there is a tiny amount of play in and out
    A little play is normal, the rust is not

With the G80 it has basically a large copper(?) c-clip that holds it in (which is why I have to get into the diff to remove).
    That "C" clip is also in the non-locking axle.

Is that something that may be able to cleaned and polished up if its not pitted.
    Maybe if not too deep, it may need to be turned on a lathe
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    A little play is normal, the rust is not

Thats kind of what I figured

That "C" clip is also in the non-locking axle.
    Yep. its just the full float axle that is nice and easy to pull out.

Maybe if not too deep, it may need to be turned on a lathe
    thats not what I was hoping. I had already started looking at axles. I can get alloy USA from 4wp for about $100

Thanks
    David

I take that back. the only ones I can find right now are for full floating axles

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by