GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: front end noise

Question front end noise

so question... we had snow hit today and i decided to put the truck in auto 4x4 for the first time as i just bought the truck about 4 months ago. i was driving along and heard a noise coming from the front diff, so i put it back in 2wd and it went away, then back in auto 4x4 and the moise came back. its a very faint noise and sounds to me like a bearing has gone. i have never owned a 4x4 before and i was just wondering if that was normal or what the sound may be. any info can deff help here... oh yeah, its a 2006 silverado lt ext cab short box 4x4 with a 4.8
    2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO LT
    - STOCK FOR NOW, PLANS - LEVELING/LIFT, FUEL WHEELS AND BIGGER TIRES

NEW
    OLD

Legend

when you operate in auto 4wd the front axle is locked as one.

when a slip is detected the transfercase locks the rear axle to the front axle.

what does occur is the front tires must be the same size/wear. if one tire is with more tread or air than the other you will get vibs.

with 4wd all tires need be rotated often 15,ooomi. max. and of the same wear or drive train wear increases.

do not operate in any 4wd position on solid dry pavement at any time.

I would replace all the drive train fluids . rear/front diff./ transmission/ and the transfercase. these need replacing every 30-40,ooomi . to ensure proper long life operation.

I would agree with @j cat about changing the fluids. I make it a point after I buy a used vehicle to do this ASAP. You don't know (or at least most don't) how the previous owner cared for the truck. So buy changing the fluids you may be able to learn a little bit. So this gives you a fresh starting point to map out your maint. schedule. This also gives you a chance to become more knowledgeable about your new ride.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Jr. Mechanic

Some amount noise coming from the front end is normal. I have had many 4x4s and they all make a bit of noise when you engage the front end. Lots of things start rotating that you are not accustomed to hearing on a daily basis. I agree with j cat about changing the fluids.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD