GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Leaks!

Default Leaks!

I have a bad leak on my 95 suburban. Unlike my 94 this one has the barn doors. I started to notice a smell when I first opened the door and today I found it. The back cargo area carpet is entirely soaked through and I'm thinking the barn doors are responsible. I'm probably going to just cut the carpet out from the back so its just the metal floor. Any other ideas?
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

First find the leak before going any further. Soak the rug up with a good shop vac or at the carwash vac.

Is this just water, or antifreeze?

If it’s antifreeze the rear heater core is leaking. If it’s water you may need a helper to go to the car was with you, unless you car ride threw one in the back and see if you can find where the leak is coming from.

We have had a couple of members here have trouble with leaks back there but for the life of me I can’t remember what the problem was. Someone else may.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I think there's too much wetness to be antifreeze but I could be wrong. I think the truck was hit from behind at one point or another and may have messed up the way the doors fit together. But if necessary I was thinking that if do cut the carpet out I will either get one of those rubber/plastic inserts or possibly herculine it.

I noticed a while back that my rear carpet was staying wet and found out that the condensation drain tube was blocked and overflowing to the carpet. It is located behind the right rear tire underneath the truck. If you can find where the heater/a/c hoses go insinde the truck there, you will see a small rubber tube with a crimped end. Clean that out and it may help. This happened to me when I was running the A/C alot, but I can't imagine you would be running your's at this time of the year, so this may not apply.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

if you want some help finding air leaks then get a box fan or window fan and open the pass side window and sora seal it good so it will blow air into the sub. then light an inscent or get something the you can see (setup a fog machine inside) they sell a bottle and dust to check your home for leaks. and climb around the sub at the doors and windows any place the smoke goes out is a good canidate for a leak or water getting inside......mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I noticed a while back that my rear carpet was staying wet and found out that the condensation drain tube was blocked and overflowing to the carpet. It is located behind the right rear tire underneath the truck. If you can find where the heater/a/c hoses go insinde the truck there, you will see a small rubber tube with a crimped end. Clean that out and it may help. This happened to me when I was running the A/C alot, but I can't imagine you would be running your's at this time of the year, so this may not apply.
    It's been smelling for a while now so I wouldn't rule that out quite yet. The thing is since it has been going on for a while I think the carpet is pretty well shot. Who knows what growing under that thing. If it was a truck that is in MINT shape I would think twice before tearing up carpet. Unfortunately its not so cutting up the carpet really wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if necessary.

Lightbulb

Another place to check is along the tops of the side windows, not the acuall glass but the seam above it. I blamed my doors and did a few things to try to fix it to no avail. Had a friend put a hose to it while I watched found the water was coming from the windows, the fix was pretty easy. I ran a bead of black silicone in the groove up top that was two years ago still don't leak.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

I went underneath and there was a small hose that I think was supposed to connect to a rubber grommet type thing going up into the truck. It was disconnected so I reconnected it. It seems like it is only wet right in the center of the cargo area. Before I rip anything out I will do the water test.