GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tpms learning tool?

Has anyone bought a TPMS learning tool and where? I found one site that GM or Silverado uses Schrader brand but there is a lot of confusing info online. There appears to be more than one type of TPMS learning tool and it must be specific to the valve monitor or the truck/car brand. Can anyone give the full scoop of this technology?

why do u need a tpms tool? at my shop we use schrader and we can then make ez sensors and is very to use but it very pricey
    2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO LT
    - STOCK FOR NOW, PLANS - LEVELING/LIFT, FUEL WHEELS AND BIGGER TIRES

NEW
    OLD

I haven't. But I am interested to see the responces.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    why do u need a tpms tool? at my shop we use schrader and we can then make ez sensors and is very to use but it very pricey
    Reading the owners manual again, I think I over read it. It appears that a relearn tool is used if a sensor is replaced. If the tires are rotated with the same four sensors, then doing the trick with the remote key fob will allow the system to find the new locations. Now why can't the writer of these manuals make it more clear. Am I correct or do I have it all wrong?

The owners manual states: TPMS Sensor Matching Process Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors. Also, the TPMS sensor matching process should be performed after replacing a pare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor. The malfunction light and the DIC message should go off at the next ignition cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear. See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool. There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops and must be restarted.The TPMS sensor matching process is:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
    3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately
    five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
    displays on the DIC screen. If the vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
    Last edited by WorthFlorida; 10-11-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
    The owners manual states: TPMS Sensor Matching Process Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors. Also, the TPMS sensor matching process should be performed after replacing a pare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor. The malfunction light and the DIC message should go off at the next ignition cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear. See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool. There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops and must be restarted.The TPMS sensor matching process is:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
    3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately
    five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
    displays on the DIC screen. If the vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
    I agree that it makes you believe your going to need to purchase a tool. But then goes on with how to use the RKE to do it. I rotated my tires and didnt do anything but the fronts are now in the rear so if it tells me the front left is low in air is it really my rear right. I think it is if I havent done the relearn process. GOOD THREAD!!

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Default TPMS reset tool purchase

Hey, I broke down and bought a reset tool. It's a ATEQ VT15 TPMS Trigger Tool. It was not necessary to have but letting the air out of each tire is a slow and clumsy way to reset the TPMS. This makes it really easy to do the job. Once you move a wheel when rotating it won't read the correct location on the dash display. It may not make a difference to some but it bugs me. I rotate the tires myself every 3000 miles to get even wear all the way around. I would say yes the tool is a little pricey but so is a good Code reader/scan tool. I think it was worth it to buy the tool so I don't have to go to the tire shop every month or waste time. I saw a video on YouTube that shows how easy and quick it is to reset the TPMS on a Corvette but it's the same steps for the truck. I got the tool on Amazon for $124 shipped to my door. It takes less than 5 minutes to reset the TPMS. If you got large wheels 18 or 20 in rims then you know how pricey tires are. So make them last as long as possible by rotating them regularly.

Stupid Bikers don't last long,natural selection at work.
    Mod's;
    1. Drop in air filter K&N.
    2. Added Nerf/step bars.
    3. Putco jet yellow fog light bulbs.
    4. Rough Country leveling kit.
    5. Added a Bull bar and lights. Since removed due to a deer hit.
    6. Added rear fender liners.
    7. Put a camper top on the back.
    8. Added a RanchHand brush gaurd and tractor lights.
    9. Added an Airaid Modular Intake Tube.

I did read the owners manual correct the first time. A relearn tool is needed after tire rotation.

From forum http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...owtopic=142430 (buy a GM Master mechanic)

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:06 AM
    Guys, this piece of info has just been released from Engineering and I figured that it would certainly be handy to those of us DYI'ers who perform our own tire rotations and tpm sensor relearns.

Starting with late 2011 model year GM vehicles and all vehicles built after that point, the TPM sensor can only be activated for learn mode by using a TPMS tool. The pressure differential method , where you either increased or decreased the tire pressure by at least one psi, will no longer work to activate sensors on these vehicles. This change was implemented to reduce the amount of stray sensor signals being broadcast in the service environment. Since the TPM sensors can no longer be activated using the pressure differential method, customers wanting to rotate their own tires and perform their own TPM Relearn will be required to utilize a relearn tool. GM has designed and manufactured an inexpensive relearn tool, the EL-50448 specifically for this application. Owner manuals have been updated accordingly. To verify the relearn method to be used, refer to the Owner Manual - Tire Rotation - TPMS Sensor Matching Process. GM recommends the use of the following tools when performing TPM relearns: EL-50448, which is a new tool, and EL-46079 or J-46079, which is the existing tool. The new TPM Tool is also a great, economical tool for dealership oil change and tire rotation service use. Both tools can be used on all past and future model GM vehicles.

just to clearify things: the RKE is used to start the relearn process but you still need to go around to each indvidual tire and trigger the sensor.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

What I learned first hand is you use the RKE to activate the learn process but IT DOES NOT delete or clear the already stored TPMS codes. The TPM codes get overridden when the learn tool triggers the sensor to send its code. FYI, the TPMS and the key fobs use the same Door Lock Controller (DLC) receiver.

wonder how "late" the build date for 2011's for the tire tool only method? I used the tire pressure release when I reset mine after having them rotated a few months ago, worked fine. My truck is a June 2011 build date...
    2011 Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4
    Black w/Cashmere Leather & Chrome Package
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J Motorhome W24 Workhorse Chassis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast