GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default 05 Sierra dash lights/radio lights

this is a random issue. the dash lights and radio lights/climate control lights all seem to turn off randomly when driving. it seems to happen only at night, when the headlights are turned on. if i play with the light switch they will flicker on and off but aren't really staying.

also, at night, the interior lights won't stay on when i open the doors. (when head lights on) but after they turn off, if i use the key fob to unlock the door the interiors work fine.

just wondering if anyone is having such gremlins. i'm thinking i might replace the battery anyways as its 7 years old but i don't think this is the issue. truck also runs just fine regardless of the lights being on or off, and it will still shift into 4wd as well (donno if that would be related)

all help appreciated thanks!
    05' GMC Sierra 1500 quad cab 5.3L Daily Driver and tow rig

If you play with the switch and they flicker, then I would guess that the switch is bad.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

That fits with my way of thinking, too -- i.e. something switch related. Maybe it's the switch. Maybe it's a loose connection to the switch. Maybe it's a wire connected to it that has a short only when it's in a certain position and jiggling it moves it from that position. You get the idea...

The light bulb is burned out in the one in my 2000 silverado so I am going to replace it. I was looking at an led conversion for it as people have done it. The part isn''t that bad price wise for a new one though:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1595G...ype=automotive

I am sure it is $200 from the dealer

The bulb in mine is some strange mini bulb that I can put a 5mm LED and appropriate resister in to replace the bulb. But if the switch is not working, the replacement is the best bet.

Batteries don't like extreme temperature changes....... really cold, really hot. so anywhere in Canada would get really cold winters; 7 years is a long time for a battery up there.

I got 7 years out of my last battery but the temperature does not swing quite as much in the extremes in North Carolina as it would up there.

It would be smart to replace it sooner than when you are stuck on the road somewhere at this point.

Jr. Apprentice

i ordered a new switch off rockauto today for 60$ delivered to canehdah. hopin it fixes it. if not, bon fire! lol
    05' GMC Sierra 1500 quad cab 5.3L Daily Driver and tow rig