GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm going to go look at the 12 with floor shift tomorrow again and see if i can't work out a deal on this bad boy. They're are a good number out there to be had if a guy I'd patient actually.

good luck with that steve, let us know how it goes!

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Getting back to the original question, it is certainly a matter of preference. If you're looking for advice based upon people's experience, here's mine. I have both (floor shift in my '87 Silverado 4x4 and push button in my '02 S10 4x4 Pickup)

Over the years, experienced that:
    1) the pushbutton is more convenient, mainly due to interior ergonomics
    2) the floorshift is more reliable; never had an issue in 25 years for the floorshift; had 1 issue with the electronic pushbutton
    3) psychologically, (and most likely mechanically), the floorshift feels more solid and dependable

Overall, I like the mechanical floorshift.

HHR SS_________________The Heritage Hot Rod

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post

Unfortunately that's seldom the failure point. More common is a failure to engage the front diff ... which is electronically actuated in both the stick and push-button systems. It could be a sensor failing to signal the actuator or the actuator, itself.

The only thing I would want to know is what the default "failure" setting is for the transfercase actuator. There is at least one manufacturer that has a default of "neutral", which leaves you stranded when it fails. That was the reason I had a manual stick in my last truck...

I look at it this way...with a electronic shift transfercase and front diff actuator, there are two potential points of failure; whereas the manual shift transfercase and electronic front diff actuator leaves only one.

FWIW, my 2012 has the manual shift transfercase...the only drawback I see is that the shifter takes up part of the console (if you need to set something there, like service radios) and its a little more user involved (its easier to push a button/rotate a knob).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123