GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Unhappy 05 Silverado Dash rattle

Hi,

This topic has appeared before however I still have not found an answer.

There is a particular rattle up high inside a silverado dash - towards the little black light sensor dome under the windshield. It is a "tick, tick tick" type of sound when accelerating. Sounds like plastic on metal type noise.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone attempted to find the source? Anyone successfully found the source?

This is noise is just loud enough to drive you insane while quiet enough for the dealer and passengers to tell me i'm crazy

Looking forward to discussion and ideas. I'm willign to try anything. I had the dash apart 3-4 times by now with no success.

Thanks.

Jr. Mechanic

I don't know if it is the same sound I had in my 2006 or not? But mine was the air directing door that shifts the air flow from the windshield to the floor to the front vents, etc. (I forget the real name for it right now I have OFS quite often these days.) It had gotten some slack in the cable that worked it and the sound drove me nuts. I had one of the mechanics in the back pull it apart one day and find out what it was. My wife could not even hear it from the passenger side, (or claimed she couldn't anyway.) but it drove me crazy after a few months.
    I hope you find it..nothing I hate much worse than a rattle I cant find and fix.
    Good luck to you.

Do you remember what it took to get the top of the dash apart? I have taken many dashboards apart in the past, but the silverado seems to be one piece.

I thought I had a dash rattle in my 2005 for the longest time till the plastic piece right outside the windshield was just tapping the windshield making loud enough to where I thought it was inside. Mine was the plastic cover to where the windshield wipers are coming through that runs along the whole bottom of the windshield on the outside. Just what was happening to mine dont know if its the same.
    2005 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's
    17" Pro Comp Extreme Wheels
    2" ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Blacked Out Grill and Front and Rear Bumpers (Painted By Me)
    PreRunner Light Bar (Removed) New Fabricated Bumper (coming soon)
    WeatherGuard Tool Box (Painted Also)

Jr. Mechanic

No, I am sorry to say I don't recall. It has been a few years now, and one of my guys in the back did it. I saw it in the middle of the operation when they found the problem, but I didn't see how they took it apart. Sorry.
    Maybe someone else here can tell you how to get to that part in s simple way? I hope so, rattles drive me nuts!!
    Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1500ExtChevy View Post
    I thought I had a dash rattle in my 2005 for the longest time till the plastic piece right outside the windshield was just tapping the windshield making loud enough to where I thought it was inside. Mine was the plastic cover to where the windshield wipers are coming through that runs along the whole bottom of the windshield on the outside. Just what was happening to mine dont know if its the same.

Thanks - I will actually check that out when I get home. I did notice that sounds does not seem to bother me when its raining (and hence the wipers are on), so its very possible its something with or under that plastic vent.

OK, so made some progress this weekend. Was able to take apart the TOP of the dashboard. Turned out it was very easy. If anyone needs help - I can post pictures.

With that said - after removing the top of the dash, rattle went away. I added some foam tape in questionable places (there was a particularly suspicious plug hanging sort of loose really close to the top), then put the dash together... noise improved, but I think i still hear it sometimes although much much less frequent. Will pay attention for few days and if necessary remove the dash again add more foam tape.

I have this same issue with my 99. Keep us posted so I can know what to do lol.

I have the same problem in my dash and I only hear it when I'm idling since the road noise usually drowns it out. Can you post pictures of how to take the top of the dash off?

Thanks!

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LS 4X4
    2013 Ford Focus Titanium

I posted a procedure here -> http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42294

Sorry I dont have pictures, but its very straight forward. Let me know if any questions/problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by