GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Engineer

Default dielectric grease ok for ignition control module ?

guys, i installed a new ignition control module on my 1990 k1500 5.7 today. i did not have any of the white grease that usually goes on the bottom, so i used some permatex dielectric grease, the clear kind.
    will i be ok, or should i get some of the white stuff ?
    thanks

Naaa. you wanna use the heat sink compound. (the white stuff)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Naaa. you wanna use the heat sink compound. (the white stuff)

do they sell it individually ? i have onyl seen it when its usually inside the module box...
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RATRODKING View Post
    do they sell it individually ? i have onyl seen it when its usually inside the module box...
    thanks

I want to say Autozone sells it in little packets, commonly used on trailer plugs, but dont quote me on that.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I want to say Autozone sells it in little packets, commonly used on trailer plugs, but dont quote me on that.
    thanks, i am heading there tomorrow after work, and will do it the right way

That would be dielectric grease. You can get heat sink compound ar radio shack... Probably at the auto parts store too. Never looked for it there.

Moogvo's spot on. You want heat sink compound. It's a grease/paste that has little bits of aluminum or silver embedded in the compound to enhance thermal conductivity. You can find it at RadioShack or Best Buy in the computer aisle. It's commonly used on heatsinks for computer processors.

It's crucial the ignition module has good thermal conductivity to the housing it's mounted to. The module produces a lot of heat and is heat-sensitive. Run it without it for too long and you'll be replacing the module again.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Engineer

well, i used some of this stuff we had at work....
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

hopefully its the correct stuff.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RATRODKING View Post
    well, i used some of this stuff we had at work....
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

hopefully its the correct stuff.
    thanks
    I would say you got some good stuff there!!

Jr. Engineer

I would say you got some good stuff there!!
    glad to hear this... the guy at work is not a car guy, and i tried to explain what i was doing, and the little tube said "thermal" something, but wasnt worded "heat sink" paste, so im just making sure..
    thanks for the input... i now feel safe...
    autozone did not carry the white stuff, i tried talking them to give me some out of a new ignition module box, but obviously they didnt want to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by